AZ Barbeque.com

Sweet Chili Sauce- Qview HEAVY

Discussion started on

GOODolBOY

So here's some pics from my latest batch. The best part is that other than the canned maters, its all locally grown and organic. Either from my garden or the Farmers Market. This is a triple batch. And since these peppers will be unavailable till next year, I bought tons extra produce to make more this winter. The only thing i did different with this recipe was roast the sweet chili's and some japs so i could freeze em. Enjoy.

20#s left to right. Sweet chili's, Chilipenos, and Japs.

A lil smoking action for the chilipenos and japs.

Sweating the roasted sweet chili's

Preparing the smoked chilipenos to make a puree w/ garlic, cider vinegar, pinch of salt, pinch of lime juice. Run 10 peppers and top off to 4cups vinegar through a blender. toss into big pot and mix thouroughly. package on left is 6 cups for chili sauce. then i bagged up rest in 2cup baggies to freeze. Freeze flat for easy storage.

8 large sweet onions, 3 bulbs Transylvania garlic, 3 ginger roots, half cup canning salt, 2 tblspn mustard seed, celery salt and chili flakes.

Remember to compost the scraps. i filled this up 3 times.

18 roasted sweet chili's, 18 roasted japs and 4 habeneros.

Start saute onions in some grapeseed oil. Cook a few min then add ginger, cook a few min. add garlic and cook a few more min.

Add roasted sweet chilis.

Just a size comparison shot.

Add the chili puree. 6 cups and cook a lil more. Then add some more heat. The roasted japs and Habs. Cook a lil more. Add 3 cans mater sauce. I added 3 cans roasted maters on my own accord. Also add the bowl of dry ingredients. Then put in 6cups cider vinager. bring to a boil and simmer. Regularly 45min for single batch. But this took 1hr 45min. Till that ginger aroma is present again. Then let it cool for 30 min. Add another 10 cups CV. Return to stove and Blend. Add 1 lime juice. The sugar amount is up to you. This took 5 lbs sugar to get it to my liking. Blend well again. Return to boil and simmer for 45 min. Color will darken to a vibrant dark red.

This is after the 45 min simmer.

Ready for jars. It will keep for 6-9 months in fridge. But i can mine for a 1yr shelf life. Then when opened you need to refer it. Again lasting 6-9 months. It takes about a week for the flavors to really infuse.

Process in water bath for 21 min. Here is the finished product. MMMMMMMMMMMMM. This batch made 27 pints.

While i was at it i smoked and dried my red japs for my many other recipes.

You should taste the sweetness before the bite. Then you know you've done it right. I use this sauce for EVERYTHING. Chips n dips. Injections and marinades. I even put it in lil cups and take it to restaraunts to dip my fries and eggrolls in. Endless uses.

Thanks for taking the time to look and read through all of this.

Lee S.
#1 - November 03, 2011, 01:19:40 pm

Mark

That looks terrific! :P Although not as cool and complex as your sauce, I'm a big fan of Thai Sweet Chile Sauce and also use it for lots of stuff. I've even used it time and again on chicken in comps, despite never winning big with it. I just think its the perfect match.
#2 - November 03, 2011, 03:11:14 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: