AZ Barbeque.com

Brine?

Discussion started on

nokosi

Do any of y'all use brine, if so could you share a recipe?
#1 - September 01, 2010, 08:57:20 am

glenntm

We use a very simple brine.  Salt, sugar and brown sugar.  Only 3 hours, and then rinse and marinade until cooking. 
#2 - September 01, 2010, 09:02:55 am

Gava Ds BBQ

Like above said: water, salt, sugar, peppercorns, assorted herbs....you can even add some fresh chopped veggies if you like (celery, carrots, onions, peppers etc.) or just add veggie broth to the brine. I just did a turkey this way and it came out great...
#3 - September 01, 2010, 09:45:42 am
"If today were a fish, I'd throw it back"

ALLREDY.com

screaming pete

a Brine works wonders on Beef Tounge..............i'm just saying :laugh: :P
#4 - September 01, 2010, 09:52:39 am

Gava Ds BBQ

So I hear!!! Congrats on that big win Pete!!!
#5 - September 01, 2010, 10:08:34 am
"If today were a fish, I'd throw it back"

ALLREDY.com

Trailhound

a Brine works wonders on Beef Tounge..............i'm just saying :laugh: :P

Before or after you remove the skin from the tough?
If you brine it after you remove the skin how do you remove it with out boiling the tough?
#6 - September 01, 2010, 10:11:34 am
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

mustang

Do any of y'all use brine, if so could you share a recipe?

I'm assuming your question is about the actual amounts of salt and sugar to add to the water or other liquid used to brine poultry and pork, right?

(In addition to adding salt and sugar to the brining liquid you can also add any other seasoning and/or herbs you like for added flavor, but the salt and sugar "chemistry" is what results in tender and juicy meat.)

BRINING GUIDLINES

CHICKEN                                Cold Water           Table Salt   Sugar            Time
1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)   2 quarts             1/2 cup   1/2 cup   1/2 to 1 hour
2 whole chickens (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)   2 quarts              1 cup   1 cup           1/2 to 1 hour
4 pounds bone-in chicken pieces        2 quarts              1/2 cup   1/2 cup   1/2 to 1 hour
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts     2 quarts              1/4 cup   1/4 cup   1/2 to 1 hour

TURKEY   
1 turkey (12 to 17 pounds)                    2 gallons               1 cup       *            6 to 12 hours
1 turkey (18 to 24 pounds)                    3 gallons               1 1/2 cups  *            6 to 12 hours
1 bone-in turkey breast (6 to 8 pounds)    1 gallon                1/2 cup     *            3 to 6 hours

PORK   
4 bone-in rib loin pork chops                 1 1/2 quarts         3 TBSP       3 TBSP     1 hour
1 pork roast (3 to 6 pounds)                     2 quarts                1/4 cup     1/4 cup     1 1/2 to 2 hours

*Because turkey must roast for an extended amount of time, the sugar in the brine will cause overbrowning. Therefore, omit the sugar in the brine for turkeys.

**These formulas are given for table salt. If using kosher salt, the rule of thumb is to use twice as much Diamond Crystal kosher salt as table salt and 1 1/2 times Morton's kosher salt as table salt.

#7 - September 01, 2010, 10:28:30 am

screaming pete

i first rinsed it clean then put it in a brine overnight. about 7am trimmed up and cut into about 5-6 big chunks and simmered in a beef broth with garlic  for 4-5 hours..........cut off the now white layer and diced the goodness up and added to the rest of the dish leaving nice size pieces at to not let the judges miss the Theme ingredient
#8 - September 01, 2010, 11:12:34 am

grizmt

i first rinsed it clean then put it in a brine overnight. about 7am trimmed up and cut into about 5-6 big chunks and simmered in a beef broth with garlic  for 4-5 hours..........cut off the now white layer and diced the goodness up and added to the rest of the dish leaving nice size pieces at to not let the judges miss the Theme ingredient
Does it matter "who's" tongue you use? I sure hope so, if not my wife might get an idea and I might wake up without one!!! :-X  :D
#9 - September 01, 2010, 11:57:53 am

PAT YOUNG

We brine our large cuts of meat like shoulders /butts/ briskets  overnight! But they are half frozen when we start!
#10 - September 01, 2010, 11:27:52 pm

Crash

We use a very simple brine.  Salt, sugar and brown sugar.  Only 3 hours, and then rinse and marinade until cooking. 
We do something very similar, although we do add some citrus and a few other spices.  Make sure to taste your brine before adding your meat.  Salt and sweet should be balanced nicely.

It should also be noted that we only brine chicken, our worst competition meat in 2010.
#11 - September 02, 2010, 12:28:02 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

richoso12

I usually brine any type of poultry, but not for more than 12-14 hours, it changes the texture. I don't like to brine pork, in my experience it produces a ham like texture. I haven't tried brining beef, so I cannot speak on that meat.It's all good my friend.
#12 - March 29, 2011, 01:01:43 pm
GOSM big block, Weber 22.5 in one touch, AMZN cold smoker. I Grow NM Heritage 6-4, NM Jalmundo, NM Vaquero, Poblano,Serrano Tampiqueno. Habaneros are Orange, Antilla, Bondo Ma Jacque, and Red Savina. I use mesquite, cherry, apple, alder, and red oak chunks.

chefrob

I usually brine any type of poultry, but not for more than 12-14 hours, it changes the texture. I don't like to brine pork, in my experience it produces a ham like texture. I haven't tried brining beef, so I cannot speak on that meat.It's all good my friend.

i'm pretty much in line with rich.......
#13 - March 29, 2011, 08:35:34 pm

seacus

I saw cooks on Food Network brine pork butts before smoking.  Does this insure moisture? Will the meat fall apart on the grill if it's not done right.  HELP??    ;)
#14 - April 04, 2011, 09:54:39 pm

Members: