AZ Barbeque.com
Likes 1 Likes

BBQ Meatloaf

Discussion started on

wood River BBQ Team

Recently I tried some smoked meatballs at Wholefoods Market. They were delicious -- best meatballs I've ever tasted. Recently, I received an email from Malcolm Reed (www.howtobbqright.com) regarding smoked meatloaf. I'd never considered smoking meatloaf because I've never been crazy about meatloaf probably because I've never tasted a good one BUT if a smoked meatloaf could turn out as good as the smoked meatballs maybe I should give it a try.

You can go to Malcolm's website and check out the recipe & video. Watch the video closely because some things are left off off the written recipe. I used BBQ sauce instead of ketchup. I used SIRLOIN instead of 80/20 ground chuck. I didn't overwork the meat and used a alum pan to form the meat and cooked on a wire rack. I cut the recipe in 1/2 for one loaf.

Sadly, I didn't like the meatloaf because sirloin was a bad choice. I decided to make some adjustments. I switched to 80/20 ground chuck and instead of bread crumbs I used crushed Saltine Crackers. Some of you old folks can ask your wife what that's all about -- younger folks will have to ask their grandmother!! I diced and and sauted green peppers and added a dash of Worstershire. I also used McCormicks Meatloaf Season Mix.

I smoked at 275* and a internal of 160* I used Pecan and rotated the loaf at 120*. I glazed (Jack Daniel's Hickory Brown Sugar) at 150*. Cook time on my Lang was about 2.5 hours.

I should have cooked 2 loafs but I wanted to see how the adjustments turned out -- BEST meatloaf I ever tasted!! 
#1 - January 30, 2017, 09:24:22 am

Mark

Sounds good! :P I haven't had meatloaf in years since no one else in my household will eat it, but I may make one of these for my consumption alone. Thanks for posting!
#2 - February 06, 2017, 07:44:24 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

MarcelWol

I really like your ideas of 80/20 ground chuck and Saltine Crackers. Is everything else the same as the other recipe?
#3 - December 05, 2017, 07:14:06 am

Bobby

Ever since my wife got me my GMG for my birthday a year ago that is the only way we cook our meatloafs now. My wife cooked me one for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. What's even better is a meatloaf warmed up, meatloaf sandwich with swiss cheese melted on it. My favorite. My wife uses Stove Top Pork Stuffing instead of saltines & mixes sausage into the 80/20 hamburger. Sorry but it's the best you will ever have eaten
#4 - December 05, 2017, 10:31:16 am

wood River BBQ Team

MarK: Everything else is the same BUT I like MARCEL'S wife's idea of substituting stove top pork stuffing for the saltines and adding some sausage (a little not a lot - I'll have to fly by the seat of my pants on the amount) and will try that the next time.

Marcel: what is the ration sausage to 80/20 that your wife used?? 
#5 - December 05, 2017, 11:03:13 am

AZGrilling

80/20 ground chuck  to start.
Have you ever had corn taco shells left over? Chop small and add that to the meat. Do not mix too much.
The more you mix, the more tough and dry it will be.
BBQ or ketchup is good. Add some worecshire (?) sauce and onions. Go for it.
#6 - December 01, 2018, 08:30:41 am
This space for rent  apply within...

wood River BBQ Team

80/20 ground chuck to start. Have you ever had corn taco shells left over? Chop small and add that to the meat. Do not mix too much. The more you mix, the more tough and dry it will be. BBQ or ketchup is good. Add some worecshire (?) sauce and onions. Go for it.

Nope, I never have tried corn taco shells but might the next time. Onion flavor is in the McCormick's mix and I always add Worchester. 
#7 - December 03, 2018, 06:50:30 am

Members: