AZ Barbeque.com
Likes 2 Likes

EASTER HAM & BAKED BEANS

Discussion started on

wood River BBQ Team

There are many way to smoke a EASTER HAM. The following is what works for me.

Obviously, the most important ingredient is the ham. I prefer a spiral cut bone in "with natural juices" such as the Cook's Brand that can be purchased at Fry's or Basha's. The shopping list consists of Dijon Mustard, Brown Sugar, "Sweet & Spice Rub", Pineapple Juice & Aluminum Foil.

The smoker temperature is 275*. The cook time for a 9lbs ham is approximately 4 hours. The smoke is cherry /apple (hickory or oak is too strong and will overpower the flavor). The internal temperature is a MAX of 140*. Remember, the ham is already cooked and you're merely reheating it. Over 140* will cause the ham to dry out. Additionally, if you see the ham slices separate and curl up it's close to being done. A good quality digital thermometer is a MUST have for this cook.

Two hours before the cook I apply a rub of Dijon Mustard & a LIGHT dusting of a combination of "Sweet & Smokey" & brown sugar. Place the ham in the fridge.

30 minutes before the cook, remove the ham from the fridge. Prepare a water pan with a rack. The water pan does 3 things - it provides moist air in the cook chamber, it helps regulate & stabilize the temperature and provides a barrier between the heat and ham. Next, start the fire and bring the smoker up to 275*.

Cook Schedule:
0:00 - Place the ham flat side down on the cooking rack.
0:45 - Add smoke and mop with pineapple juice.
2:00 - Foil (tent), apply pineapple juice and cover tent.
3:00 or 120* internal - Open tent, apply pineapple juice. Glaze with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Leave tent open.
4:00 or 140* internal - Remove ham, rest it for 15 minutes. Slice & serve with BAKED BEANS.

BAKED BEANS

I obtained this recipe years ago from the Lang Smoker's Forum. It was titled DUTCH'S WICKED BAKED BEANS. I changed some of the ingredients to suite my taste and the taste of some of my friends - who don't like beans. The original recipe called for bacon, diced onions & ketchup. I substituted sweet Italian ground sausage, minced onions, BBQ sauce and a splash of whiskey. I cook the beans in a cast iron pot along with the ham. Since the cook time for the beans is about 3 hours at 275*, place the pot in the smoker about 1 hour into the smoke. The internal temperature of the beans is 160* .

The shopping list is sweet Italian ground sausage (1/2 lbs), minced onion (1/2), Jalapeno diced pepper (1), Bush Baked Beans (55oz), pineapple chunks (8oz), brown sugar (1 cup), BBQ sauce (1 cup), dry mustard (1/2 tbs) & Bourbon Whiskey (splash).

Saute the sausage until brown and remove from pan. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno until tender. NOTE: be careful with the jalapeno and dry mustard - you can add more HEAT later if desired.

Combine all the ingredients in the cast iron pot and place UNCOVERED in the smoker with the ham. If combination looks dry, add some BBQ sauce. Cook to 160* internal. An alternative method is oven bake in a aluminum pan at 360* for 1 hour.    

#1 - March 13, 2018, 11:43:34 am

Mark

Good advice on the ham and that bean recipe sounds mighty tasty!
#2 - March 26, 2018, 08:33:34 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Manniose

I want to get information about this very much. Please help me
#3 - September 18, 2018, 07:17:44 pm

wood River BBQ Team

I want to get information about this very much. Please help me

what help do you need?
#4 - September 21, 2018, 12:25:46 pm

Skysiripat

The content of the website is very interesting. I like to visit this website that always offers useful information.
#5 - June 17, 2019, 11:38:37 pm

Members: