AZ Barbeque.com

Any Pepperheads out there?

Discussion started on

azkitch

I've gotta remember I bought a handful of serranos the other day. Well heck, at least now I can smoke em!
#16 - September 12, 2008, 11:48:04 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

force

I've used some A$$ Kickin stuff......... and it's pretty good.............
#17 - October 21, 2008, 09:35:57 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

coppie2

Hey all I just joined this group...great site.

Well I guess you could call me a chilihead since I grow my own habs and the Ghost chili (Bhut Jolokia, worlds hottest).  I guess being part Korean and eating hot stuff all your life leads you on the path of finding hotter and hotter peppers.  I currently have 12 habanero bushes and 8 Ghost chili plants.  The Ghost chili plant have turned into a hedge that stands 6 ft tall by 5 ft wide running a length of 20 ft!  For those who haven't tasted this pepper, the flesh is about as hot as eating a whole hab with seeds.  Eating the seeds with the flesh of the Ghost chili will take you to a new level of pain!  I use them in all sorts of dishes and have begun experimenting smoking them to try and make a new hotter variety of chipoltle pepper.  What does someone do with all those peppers you might be thinking to yourself.  I started to dry them and sell them on the side.  I love the heat but can't stand tabasco and all the other heat additives due to it changing the flavor of my food.  I am just after the heat!!!!! >:D
#18 - December 16, 2008, 11:02:21 am

KidCurry

That Ghost Chili sounds crazy!!  i want to try some! >:D >:D >:D

Oh and WELCOME!

#19 - December 16, 2008, 11:26:22 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

coppie2

Kidcurry where are you located?  Maybe I can hook you up with one of the peppers for you to try.  You can email me at coppie2@yahoo.com to see if we can set something up.
#20 - December 17, 2008, 09:34:12 am

toys4dlr

Welcome to the site. 

We like the Hatch chili's from New Mexico. You can get them fresh in late August from Food City either fresh or already roasted for you. We like them because they can be full of flavor and mild or knock your socks off. You never know which one your going to get.
#21 - December 17, 2008, 05:04:16 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

desertdog

Kidcurry where are you located?  Maybe I can hook you up with one of the peppers for you to try.  You can email me at coppie2@yahoo.com to see if we can set something up.

When is the best time to start peppers from seed here in AZ?  I had a guy who grows Korean Peppers (don't know what they are called off-hand) send me some dried peppers (little red guys) and I want to plant them, but do not know exactly when would be the best time to get them started.

EDIT:

Sorry wrong Asian country.  They are from his grandmothers pepper farm in Ha Tien, Vietnam far south by Cambodia.  Pepper not named.
#22 - December 17, 2008, 05:39:03 pm
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:42:58 pm by desertdog »
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

bbqphx.com

Dean, if you start them inside (using Jiffy pods for instance) you want to go ~8 weeks before the last frost.  Now that can be tricky to determine here in AZ but you should be safe starting them next month.
If you just want to sow directly in the dirt I'd say late February or early March.  Germination will not likely take place below 65 degrees, especially a SE Asian variety-they like it hot & humid.
#23 - December 18, 2008, 07:06:11 am
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

desertdog

Dean, if you start them inside (using Jiffy pods for instance) you want to go ~8 weeks before the last frost.  Now that can be tricky to determine here in AZ but you should be safe starting them next month.
If you just want to sow directly in the dirt I'd say late February or early March.  Germination will not likely take place below 65 degrees, especially a SE Asian variety-they like it hot & humid.

Hmmmm, hot won't be a problem but humid could be a tough one.  As far as frost goes, here in the Valley IF we get frost, it usually occurs once a winter....maybe in January, although we do have frost warnings out for tonight in outlying areas.

What's a Jiffy pod?  I don't need to be concerned about spawning Alien Cornbread Muffins that are bent on exterminating the human race, do I?  :o

#24 - December 18, 2008, 07:28:25 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

toys4dlr

Nope, just spicy cornbread that goes well with Whoops Brisket Chili.  ;D
#25 - December 18, 2008, 08:35:33 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

KidCurry

The last peppers I planted were in April, I have seen it snow around Easter up here so we "frost" more often then on the valley!

coppie i am in Chino Valley its about 90min north of Phoenix.
#26 - December 18, 2008, 10:50:05 am
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:04:19 am by kidcurry73 »
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

coppie2

Well, Kidcurry if you are ever in the area for a contest or event let me know and we will see if we can meet up. 

As for growing peppers, you really have to be patient.  Getting anything to grow from seed can be difficult especially peppers.  The hardest part is hardening the plant once it gets a little size.  I would suggest saving the headache and just buy them from a nursery or Home Depot.  This way they are hardened and more mature so you actually have a chance to get peppers before the frost/short growing season.  Put it in a moveable potted plant which you can bring in on the porch, garage etc. to keep out of the elements and you should be good to go. 

I already stated that I grow and sell the powdered stuff but was wondering what you guys would think of smoking habs with pecan wood?  Kinda like a chipoltle pepper on steriods.  I am guessing the lighter the wood the better so not to overpower the pepper right? 
#27 - December 19, 2008, 01:01:46 pm

bbqphx.com

Ha, no cornbread or nasty stomach aches :)
Jiffy Pods are little discs made of peat moss that you soak in hot water, they soak it up and get about the size of a shot glass and you put a few seeds right in the middle.  The Jiffy greenhouse is the second part of the equation, truly the ultimate seed starting environment.  Check your local Home Depot/Lowe's to see what I'm talking about.  You can fit probably 24 discs in the size of a hardcover book.
#28 - December 19, 2008, 06:45:18 pm
Weber Ranch Kettle
FEC100

bbqphx.com

Oh, and Coppie-you don't need to worry about overpowering your habanero's dude.  They have PLENTY of attitude and could probably stand up to burning tire smoke and certainly hold their own LOL!!
#29 - December 19, 2008, 07:02:44 pm
Weber Ranch Kettle
FEC100

Members: