AZ Barbeque.com

Turn In Box Feedback

Discussion started on

Mike Allison

I'm going back through our pics from the Campo event last weekend looking at what went wrong.  Figured since you guys were kind enough to hand our arses to us at the comp, you'd be kind enough for some candid feedback.  I can sit here and shake my head at what we turned in all day long, but I'd appreciate some outside feedback.  Let 'er rip, no need to hold back in attempt to soften the blow.  All comments are welcome and appreciated.

#1 - August 18, 2012, 01:01:52 pm
Attachments:
No Clue BBQ

hcubed

As a Judge I would score the Chicken an 8. The pieces look small in the box. The Ribs Look great for a 9.  The pork a 7, it needs something more, maybe some pulled added to increase the appeal. The Brisket a 7. It looks like you dipped the slices in brooth, which is OK but you have it on the garnish and makes it look sloppy.
#2 - August 18, 2012, 01:47:35 pm
KCBS CBJ # 60945

AZWildcat

What I tell all who ask...full boxes. IMHO... I try to give more in every box if possible. I try to go 7 ribs when possible,  so the last judge gets a choice. Nice symmetry.
#3 - August 18, 2012, 02:50:26 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

BERNIETHEK

Hi, Ive been judging for 8 years. Your chicken layout is not equal (pickey but thats hat we look for.  Its hard to tell on the others but IE the slices of brishet should be the same side
or smalest to largest.  Pork to me looks sloppy .
#4 - August 18, 2012, 04:05:53 pm
BERNIE

Mike P in Tucson

Mike, what were your appearance scores?  
#5 - August 18, 2012, 04:23:15 pm
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 04:39:30 pm by Mike P in Tucson »
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

The chicken would have done better if you put 9 pieces in the box IMO. The brisket slices could be closer to equal sizes and it looks like a little of the fat was on the bottom.
#6 - August 18, 2012, 08:00:20 pm
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

AzScott

Chicken, this is your best box by far IMO.  Make the pieces larger.  You color and shine are great.

Ribs, the color is a bit dark and they look a little dull on top.

Pork, make the chunks smaller and the meat looks dull.

Brisket, get a longer knife and try to eliminate the cutting marks on the slices.  Also try and go for pencil thick pieces.  The juiciness looks stellar.

Your parsley looks good.
#7 - August 18, 2012, 08:16:02 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Mike Allison

Mike, what were your appearance scores?  

Appearance went like this:

Chicken:  9 7 8 7 8 8
Ribs: 8 7 7 7 7 9
Pork: 8 7 8 7 8 7
Brisket: 7 9 9 9 8 7
#8 - August 18, 2012, 09:42:53 pm
No Clue BBQ

Mike Allison

I appreciate everyone's inputs, keep them coming.
#9 - August 18, 2012, 09:44:24 pm
No Clue BBQ

Wood Chuck

I echo what Scott and Bernie said to add, chicken no uniform in shape 3-4 pieces too diffrent, more chicken to fill the box or bigger pieces.  Liked the color and sauce looks appetizing my score would of been an 8.  Ribs, looked good but the picture makes the sauce look dark/burnt not sure if it was, not knowing that I would have scored the ribs 8 or 9. Pork, slices looked dry, not stacked very neatly and the picture looks like you have an end if so I would have marked down for that. The chunks as said before to big cut a little smaller add more or pulled pork to fill the box more, my score 7.  Brisket, not sliced evenly, slices that were visible looked a little fatty hide these slices put them in the middle, looked like sauce on parsley fill the box my score 7.

Remember each judge usually takes only about 3-5 seconds to look at each box for appearance so each judge has a few things they look for,  mine are 1) legal garnish 2) uniformity in slices and chicken cuts used 3) if any sauce good carmel/red color not burnt looking 4) does it look dry 5) fatty meat 6) do I get this from the box,  CAN'T WAIT TO DIG INTO IT.
#10 - August 19, 2012, 07:37:08 am

Smoke'N Phoenicians BBQ

Our scores improved when we started putting more food in the boxes.... 9 chickens (when possible) 8 ribs. In our pork box we do Pulled sliced and chunks (Your pork looks like it needs more glaze NEEDS TO SHINE) and Brisket its obvious that the slices need to be even and consistent but we turned the corner in our appearance scores when we started putting burnt ends in our box.
#11 - August 19, 2012, 08:28:31 am

Send this topic Print

Members: