AZ Barbeque.com

First Smoke in my new WSM 22.5

Discussion started on

Brent Hicks

Fired up the new Weber Smokey Mountain. Two butts got them home and noticed the package said boneless ! No wonder they were 98 cents a pound. So I tied them. Then mustard , rubbed and injected. Smoked with Pecan and Red Oak chunks. almost 9 hours.
Also praticed my half chicken for Hersperia IBCA contest. Brined ,rubbed and smoked 2 hours with Cherry and Hickory.
Takes getting used to. Had to work at keeping the temp below 270.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - March 04, 2010, 04:39:11 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Looks great.  Nice job & Pictures.

I actually cook Boneless Pork Butts more than I do the bone in.  I just like them better.  It's all a preference thing..

Keep the pictures & recaps coming..  ;)
#2 - March 04, 2010, 05:30:49 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

desertdog

Nice job, Brent!  Those must be Costco Butts.  :)

Close all the vents on the 22WSM after you light it next time and see what temps get up to.  You will be surprised how long you can hold a 210-230 temp like that.  Just experiment a little with it to find the sweet spot, cuz once you do, they are automatic.  Great Smoker!

#3 - March 04, 2010, 06:36:23 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

AzQer

Another thing is to use sand or clay saucer in water pan this will also disapate the heat
#4 - March 04, 2010, 07:26:50 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

KidCurry

I actually cook Boneless Pork Butts more than I do the bone in.  I just like them better.  It's all a preference thing..

Keep the pictures & recaps coming..  ;)

Me too...Nice looking butts.
#5 - March 04, 2010, 08:41:54 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

pegraves

I was checking out your fine BBQ and saw something I never thought of:  putting a probe in a cork (I do drink a lot of wine) to get a grate level temperature.  That's awesome!  Thanks for the tip!
#6 - March 06, 2010, 07:10:22 am
22.5 Weber Kettle
18.5 WSM
KCBS CBJ #59539

desertdog

I was checking out your fine BBQ and saw something I never thought of:  putting a probe in a cork (I do drink a lot of wine) to get a grate level temperature.  That's awesome!  Thanks for the tip!

Potato works well, too!

#7 - March 06, 2010, 09:43:07 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Brent Hicks

Yes the cork was something a fellow BBQ'er showed me. He had cut the cork to fit in the top vent (WSM) and ran the temp probe in from the top. But it wasn't getting a temp at grate level. Potatoe vs. Cork . You can leave the cork on the probe and it doesn't go rotten. But yes I've used a carrot or potatoe. A couple hours into that cook you'll see the cork probe is gone. Another cheap non water proof probe goes to the trash. So I switched to this picture below. Deep fryer thermometer. Not real precise but a good second temp check.
Beware of some of the newer wines ! Some have a plastic or rubber cork. Doesn't work or smell well. And the bag in a box wine takes up way too much room on the probe ! :D
Thanks Desertdog , pegraves, kidcurry, Az Qer and Mike. What a great and friendly bunch you have in AZ.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#8 - March 06, 2010, 11:09:50 am

Members: