AZ Barbeque.com

Stomach from Louisiana

Discussion started on

Mark

You're talking about Baby K's at 20th Street & Camelback. They still do crawfish boils when they are in season. Camp Verde also holds crawfish boils a time or two throughout the year. They are tough to find live around town, unless you catch them in your neighborhood canal. Wal-mart usually has whole body boiled crawfish, although the fat in the thawed heads tastes rancid to me compared to sucking it out of the fresh ones. You can also buy frozen crawfish tails at the Ranch Market at the Chinese Cultural Center on 44th Street.
#16 - July 29, 2009, 03:59:29 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

PAT YOUNG

IS The RAJUN CAJUN STILL UP ON CAVE CREEK?
#17 - July 29, 2009, 10:23:01 pm

Crash

If you're ever in Rim Country or the White Mt.s toss out a crawdad trap baited with fish for a few hours.  You'll clean house on them mudbugs.  We caught a bunch at Horseshoe Cienega and Big Bear Lake in May....and damn were they good.
#18 - July 29, 2009, 10:33:50 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

Years ago, I was at Hawley Lake with a dozen friends. We passed the time catching mudbugs by letting them clamp onto a baited line. By day's end, we had a bucketful of the little buggers and put them in fresh water with a little cornmeal to help purge them. I wake up the next morning to find the bucket empty. It seems that a "Good Samaritan" in the group took pity and released them back into the lake. Boy was I steamed (unlike the crawfish).  >:(

I believe the Ragin' Cajun has bit the dust. No listings of them anymore.
#19 - July 30, 2009, 07:10:07 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azchoctaw1

You can orde them direct from LA. One of our members did I believe it was Smokinwaggon?

azchoctaw1
#20 - August 02, 2009, 12:47:35 pm
Middle name "Elijah" means "God of Fire" that is why I BBQ!!!!!!

azchoctaw1

well get the Beer out and the toe tapping boots on folks and turn the Volume UP:

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/general-discussions/cool-video/

azchoctaw1
#21 - August 02, 2009, 04:18:29 pm

RobOConnell

While I was driving a truck, I happened to stop at this place in LA. I dont remember, but I ordered the crawfish etoufee (sp) It was the best thing I had ever eaten. Since then, I have never been able to find it again. Nor have I been able to find the recipe for such a good plate of food. As for cajun, If your inviting... LOL. That or just send me a great recipe for this. LOL

Rob
#22 - August 02, 2009, 06:21:10 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

Mark

Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

PAT YOUNG

MIKE, Thats a big yes for a cajun cook! wev'e been cookin cajun and southern food most of our lives! Since we heat with wood stoves up here, we like to cook our beef or chicken stock over night the 1st night then strain and cook our gumbo the next night all on the wood stove every winter! i grew up not only with family recipe's but i watched JUSTIN WILSON on pbs for years! i was always a big fan of PAUL PREDOHME also!
#24 - August 02, 2009, 08:30:59 pm

PAT YOUNG

ROB, We use to get crawfish ettoufee on fried catfish at MULATES in LAFAYETTE and it was great! Also my uncle JOHN comes up here every fall to squirrel hunt and we make squirrel ettoufee - it's basically fried squirrel with ettoufee sauce( ettoufee means "to smother") i have family recipes if you need them!PAT
#25 - August 02, 2009, 08:38:09 pm

Mark

I've never eaten squirrel, but I've been to Mulates in Breaux Bridge. In season, they serve crawfish by the crateload. Lots of dancing with everyone on the floor from kids to grandparents and musicians from ages 15 to 75 playing together. A real feel good place. www.mulates.com
Another favorite is Prejeans in Lafayette. They have some nice recipes on their site. www.prejeans.com
#26 - August 02, 2009, 10:55:53 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Crash

Squirrel season is only 2 months away.  ;D ;D ;D

Our family loves to hunt pretty much anything...as long as we can eat it.  Squirrels are one fun creature to harvest and eat....but damn are they fast.
#27 - August 02, 2009, 11:47:48 pm
VRM Pit Crew

PAT YOUNG

CRASH, They are fast but i have a tennessee mountain fiest (squirrel dog) who is a little faster! if you can get away this season come on up and we'll try to put a dent in the population! We use to have a small club called the SQUIRREL MILITIA but half of the members have moved away in the last few years! your alway's welcome at our place! PAT
#28 - August 03, 2009, 12:25:48 am

Crash

CRASH, They are fast but i have a tennessee mountain fiest (squirrel dog) who is a little faster! if you can get away this season come on up and we'll try to put a dent in the population! We use to have a small club called the SQUIRREL MILITIA but half of the members have moved away in the last few years! your alway's welcome at our place! PAT

I like the Squirrel Militia club idea...very solid!!!   We had what we called "Squirrel Olympics" back in the college days....and damn was it fun, but probably not exactly safe.

I say we try to put a dent in the population, we'd love to travel up there to meet ya'll.

You'll definitely have to show us that squirrel ettoufee recipe.

Oh yeah, and early October is when them big dawgs are biting just before ice-over.  Got any ideas??

#29 - August 03, 2009, 12:46:12 am
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:48:12 am by Crash »
VRM Pit Crew

azchoctaw1

Hey Mark with a last name that you have now I can understand why you like Cajun.
Pat sounds great what your talking about.
Where is the Walmart that carries Craw Dad tails, we love it in a Rotela Dip over a slow fire.

This Cajun DEAL is just gettin fired up.

I LOVE IT.
azchoctaw1
Jim
PS: If your into Saints football, it is carried every game at Zipp's at the NE corner of Ray/McClintock. I will be the one with the Saints hat on and almost the only one not a good deal so join me.
#30 - August 03, 2009, 07:11:25 pm

Members: