AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked a little top round tonight.

Discussion started on

bucaguy

I figured since I had the smoker up and running I would toss one on.. I used a new rub I have been working on.  Used Black Cardamon as a base for the rub... Came out pretty good..

#1 - October 21, 2011, 07:22:35 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

AZWildcat

That looks fantastic!
#2 - October 21, 2011, 07:30:48 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mark

I've never heard of black cardamom. Is the flavor similar to plain ol' cardamom? (which isn't all that plain since its generally considered to be the second priciest spice after saffron.)
#3 - October 21, 2011, 09:49:47 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

bucaguy

There a few types of cardamon.. you have the Green pod with is more popular.. The Black has kind of a smokey flavor to.. So it goes good with a rub.. If you are going to be at the October fest deal tomorrow I rubbed some on the brisket I am bringing..  And it is a little expensive as well.. i was able to borrow a few pods from a Country Club I used to work at.. I am thinking I will have to order more from a spice website soon
#4 - October 21, 2011, 10:12:56 pm

bucaguy

That looks fantastic!

THank you... Tasted awesome to
#5 - October 21, 2011, 10:13:28 pm

Mark

I definitely want to try it. Cardamom has a unique, clean taste. Almost like a mixture of lemongrass, ginger and white pepper. Very aromatic. :P
#6 - October 21, 2011, 10:56:02 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

route66

I like Cardamom both Green and Black. Black is good for baking and has a nice smokey flavor I like and use with my BBQ. I haven
#7 - October 21, 2011, 11:10:18 pm

azkitch

There a few types of cardamon.. you have the Green pod with is more popular.. The Black has kind of a smokey flavor to.. So it goes good with a rub.. If you are going to be at the October fest deal tomorrow I rubbed some on the brisket I am bringing..  And it is a little expensive as well.. i was able to borrow a few pods from a Country Club I used to work at.. I am thinking I will have to order more from a spice website soon
Penzey's, at Tatum and Shea, NW corner. Or on the web, if you don't wanna drive...

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscardamom.html
#8 - October 21, 2011, 11:30:40 pm
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:33:58 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

bucaguy

thanks kitch
#9 - October 22, 2011, 02:20:23 am

Mark

Gonna check out their cardamom (as well as their cardadad). I can walk to that Penzey's...if I ever bothered to walk anywhere. ::)
#10 - October 22, 2011, 07:00:21 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

bucaguy

I am going to check them out 2.... no walking for me.. too far
#11 - October 22, 2011, 09:15:47 am

mustang

I am going to check them out 2.... no walking for me.. too far

Don't know if their second location would be more convenient for you or not, but there's another Penzey's Spices in Tempe near the intersection of the 202 and the 101.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/penzeys-spices-tempe
#12 - October 22, 2011, 09:52:01 am

Members: