AZ Barbeque.com

Saturday Rib Cook

Discussion started on

shortbus_35

Fired up some St. Louis Spares on the UDS, with some friends in town they dared me to prove them wrong - they thought there is no way that good bbq or smoked goodness could come from a 55 gallon trash can! 4 People, 3 racks of Spares from Costco.  They were already pretty well trimmed and prepped. I had minimal fat to remove and tips to clean up.  The wife made Cheesy Hash-brown casserole, Broccoli Salad plus Peanut Butter and Fudge Brownies for dessert.

Some of the best damn ribs I have ever had.  No need for sauce, the two layer dry rub and brown sugar top off did the trick. I did not sauce them, but provided the sauce on the side and no one used it.  I am a big fan of the John Henry rubs, so I did Pecan, Raspberry Chipotle and then some Obie Que Pork rub for the third one.  The ladies loved the Pecan, but the guys appreciated the complex profile of the Raspberry Chipotle as it has a hint of spice.
#1 - June 18, 2012, 10:25:27 am

azkitch

Looks great! Love those UDS units..do you do anything to tell the difference between one set of ribs and another? I've continually wrestled with how to tell the difference in which rubs I've put on what...but they're usually more similar...
#2 - June 19, 2012, 08:18:30 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mark

Nice, orderly progression of photos. Thanks for sharing! ;D
#3 - June 19, 2012, 10:27:33 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Looks mighty tasty...Nice work
#4 - June 20, 2012, 11:58:27 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

shortbus_35

Looks great! Love those UDS units..do you do anything to tell the difference between one set of ribs and another? I've continually wrestled with how to tell the difference in which rubs I've put on what...but they're usually more similar...

Dave - I tried to group them together in the same order, the raspberry were the easiest to tell because of the deep red so I put them in the middle - the Pecan and Obie I tried to place on opposite ends.

I love my UDS.  Next up for me is going to be Pork Butt, the one last thing I haven't made on the UDS.  Probably do it on the 4th of July or over that weekend.
#5 - June 21, 2012, 04:46:31 pm

AZWildcat

Love John Henry rubs too...try Cherry Rub,  very nice. The pecan rub is a great all around rub. He makes a HeartHealthy #4 that rocks! No salt and no sugar and it garlic and pepper based. It's awesome regardless of it's healthiness. We love it. I haven't tried it in any comp yet, but im itchin to use it as a base. BBQ Island doesn't carry it for some reason,  so I special order most of his rubs right from JH.   
#6 - June 22, 2012, 10:53:23 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Members: