AZ Barbeque.com

Pork Butts and a beef roast

Discussion started on

AzJohnnyC

Wow, I was checking out Craigs list and found a UDS already assembled for $55. Sweet!! I am gonna pick it up this Sat. And to top that, I may have another "victim" to the forum. I informed the seller of our forum here and he said he would check it out. Woo hooo... I'm getting a UDS, can you say "UPGRADE". LOL

Rob

Cool!  I was going to tell you to post pictures here, but I figured I'd check out CL first.  Looks like you've got the beginnings to some good BBQ there.  The nice part (I thought) is the ad said it's not quite done and needs some paint.  That means you get some pride of workmanship there, and can make it any color you want.  It's YOUR creation now.  Have fun with it, and put up some pics for the others.  Not just of the UDS now, but when you finish it, and what you Q on it!
#16 - July 07, 2009, 08:43:08 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

RobOConnell

Here are the pics...

Aint she sweet.

Rob
#17 - July 07, 2009, 09:22:10 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

AzJohnnyC

Here are the pics...

Aint she sweet.

Rob

Yes sir!  You need to break her in real good, with plenty of meat.  But, then you'll have the problem of finding enough people to eat it all...Perhaps AZBBQ club members will volunteer for that.  This is a very charitable club.  I'll offer up my services in advance.   ;)
#18 - July 07, 2009, 09:35:20 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

KidCurry

SWEET!!  You will be amazed at how "easy" it will be to keep her at temp!!!
#19 - July 07, 2009, 09:36:55 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

KidCurry

OK Get yourself a barrel...Cut 4 holes in the bottom N E S W.  I went about 2.5 inches up.  Fill it with wood and let the fire BURN!!!

I took the lid and drilled holes like this...They are 1/2 inch holes.

Added the valves to the holes on pipe nipples...two like this...

and two with just caps...all 4 are held on with lock nuts.  Next one I make I will be using fridge magnets instead of all this valve crap.

The I went down about 6" and drilled 3 holes around the out side like a triangle and used 2 or 3  inch stainless bolts (?), with washes and nuts for the grate holder...

Drilled a hole for a therm...

This basket is made from expanded metal, sitting on a charcoal grate from a Weber Kettle...15"

8" tall

Here is what the basket sits on to keep it off the bottom...this allows most of the ash to be removed easily.  i cut the sides to allow for air flow but do not know if it is really needed.  I have seen many ways to keep the basket off the bottom including using bolts as legs.

here is the pan in the barrel, the basket on the pan and it all in the barrel.

Here is the basket all loaded up...it will hold an entire bag of kingsford charcoal (not the 18 pounder).

Here it is all together and running along...those red therms from Walmart SUCK...

I dump about a 1/4 of a lit chimney on the load and let her rip wide open (lid on) till the temps reach 200 or so and then close the valves down usually one cap off the valve is used for adjustments.

#20 - July 07, 2009, 10:14:47 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

blakesbbq

really good pics and instrucions, nice
#21 - July 08, 2009, 10:45:47 am
later gator

smitty250

Nice - Congrats Bug. This smoking meat thing is addicting isn't it. I just moved up from my Brinkmann and bought Jaybirds WSM.
#22 - July 08, 2009, 10:59:12 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

RobOConnell

Very good instruction and pics there. Explains the entire process clearly. If I werent getting one, I would have to build one.

Rob
#23 - July 08, 2009, 11:03:09 am
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q

Smokin_Turkey

We just started carrying 22.5 pro series kettle grates which will fit nicely in a uds!

http://www.huntingdoncountycustoms.com/prosekegr.html

#24 - July 08, 2009, 12:49:00 pm
Amature grill cook hoping to learn something.

www.HuntingdonCountyCustoms.com

World Record Holding HCC Mini Lang,
WOTS, Weber "Plat-former", WSJS,
The secret UDS project (in the works),
HCC KEG Smoker/Grill,
Superfast Green Thermapen,
HF weedburner w/ starter,
THE INVENTOR OF "PIGGLES"

azkitch

Now I've got a grill woodie. Damn thats beautiful! Plasma cutter wet dreams.
#25 - July 08, 2009, 11:10:18 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great instructions and pictures.

Brian, great grill, I am going to have to get one of those now with our AZBarbeque logo on it.  Damn, you are really costing me $$$...  ;D
#26 - July 08, 2009, 11:13:12 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

toys4dlr

Magnet work really well, I had 4 valves on mine took all but one off and use magnets instead. 

However, many of my cookers have been neglected since obtaining the FEC.  I might just have to fire up the UDS

I like the doner lid on that UDS, check to see how old that weber was that gave up that part.  There should be a number on the lid on the draft valve.
#27 - July 09, 2009, 10:34:02 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

KidCurry

My weber lid did not fit, I still need to come up with a "flange" for it.

OASN...I am still on the look out for a red weber kettle...never seem to find um.
#28 - July 09, 2009, 03:56:35 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

RobOConnell

Just went over to Brethren and read the UDS thread, wow!! Quite a thread. A big learning experience to read. TwentyFour pages of input. I did not read it all.  But just the same KidCurry, thanks very much for your help as well. Who would have thunk there were so much involved in just burning a piece of meat? LOL

Rob
#29 - July 09, 2009, 04:16:34 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q

AzQer

For our first compition we used 3 UDS's there are very forgiving. good luck with it have fun and post pics
#30 - July 10, 2009, 04:03:48 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Members: