AZ Barbeque.com

MY FIRST BRISKET FLAT

Discussion started on

alloveryofacebbq

I did my first brisket flat a few weeks ago, it was about 4lbs and I kept it in the smoker for 6 hours at 220 then I wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven for another 5 hours, it tasted great but it just shredded...i could not slice it and i dont think it was because of my crappy knife. Is this a bad thing? Should brisket be sliced?
first pic is before the oven

after it i pulled it out of the oven and let it rest

#1 - October 04, 2010, 04:46:27 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

What was your internal temp?  If you want to slice it, you want that to be about 190 - 195.  If you cook it to over 200, it will just fall apart..
#2 - October 04, 2010, 05:08:41 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

glenntm

For slicing you're looking for a temp between 195 - 204.   Each brisket cooks different and it's more by touch and feel when probing the brisket.  

What Mike said...
#3 - October 04, 2010, 05:08:46 pm

brandon

11 hours might be a little long for a 4# brisket even at 220F. Temperature is important but with such a small piece of meat Tom is right on, you will feel when the meat gives and is ready. To answer your question; for what you wanted shredded or sliced, it tasted great is not a bad thing. For competition sliced is the optimum but taste is what you are after followed by texture. Personally I enjoy a moist flavorful pulled brisket on a kaiser roll with a quality cold one. There is no wrong way as long as you enjoy it.
#4 - October 04, 2010, 11:42:49 pm

Members: