AZ Barbeque.com

My first big smoke

Discussion started on

azcharlie

Well it's big for me. It's my granddaughters birthday today and I am cooking the meat. Pork butt (2) rib tips (2 racks) and ABT's (80).

The butts went on the smoke at 0400 and at this point look real good. The only thing that concerns me is that they are at two different temps. They are both on the same shelf ones internal temp is 152 the other is 136.

I plan to but the ABT's in the smoke when I foil the butts. They are made with 1/2 of a pepper and 1/2 of a dove breast wrapped in beacon.

I will try to post the pixs later.

Charlie
#1 - April 18, 2010, 08:20:13 am

jmcrig

Charlie, if you're using two separate probes, try switching them. A couple of weeks ago I had that problem, and found out it was my probes. One was going bad. Also make sure you're getting your readings from the same part of the butt on each of them. If you are in a muscle seam on one and solid muscle on the other, you can get different readings. Hope this helps.
#2 - April 18, 2010, 08:32:27 am

azcharlie

I tried switching the probes around and got the same results. When I placed them both in the same peace of meat the were within one degree of eachother, so I don't think that's the problem. I guess I will just have to wrap and hold the one until the second one is done.

QUESTION!!!
After I foil the second butt can I raise the temp without screwing it up? I would think I could because at that point I would be braising not smoking.

Charlie
#3 - April 18, 2010, 09:36:48 am

jmcrig

You could raise the temp, but I'd be careful. I wouldn't go over 300. Or another idea, when the first butt is ready, pull it and wrap it, and put it an empty cooler with a couple of towels over it.
When the second one is done, let it rest and pull both.
#4 - April 18, 2010, 09:48:39 am

azcharlie

That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Setting at a plateau rightnow 160 on one and 152 on the on the other. Rib tips are in, ABT's next.
#5 - April 18, 2010, 10:25:26 am

jmcrig

Depending how they come out of the plateau, the problem may fix itself. But always good to have a backup plan. Enjoy your granddaughters birthday. ;D
#6 - April 18, 2010, 11:27:15 am

azcharlie

Well the party is over. About 30 pepole showed up. The kids played outside and the "grownups" stayed in the AC. The kids got to ride the horse and jumpe in the jumper. All in all I think everyone had a good time. Good frinds,good food and a good time.

Everyone loved the ABT's said they had never had dove prepared any better. They devoured the puled pork. Had to finish the second butt in the oven at my sons house but it all worked out ok. One guy said it was the best he has had. He wanted to know how I did it. I told him what I did and then turned him on to AZBARBEQUE.COM. He said he has wanted to try smoking meats for a few years now, but wasn't sure if he could do it. He said he was going to buy a smoker this week and give it a try.

Thanks for the help
Charlie
#7 - April 18, 2010, 07:02:50 pm

jmcrig

Well the party is over. About 30 pepole showed up. The kids played outside and the "grownups" stayed in the AC. The kids got to ride the horse and jumpe in the jumper. All in all I think everyone had a good time. Good frinds,good food and a good time.

Everyone loved the ABT's said they had never had dove prepared any better. They devoured the puled pork. Had to finish the second butt in the oven at my sons house but it all worked out ok. One guy said it was the best he has had. He wanted to know how I did it. I told him what I did and then turned him on to AZBARBEQUE.COM. He said he has wanted to try smoking meats for a few years now, but wasn't sure if he could do it. He said he was going to buy a smoker this week and give it a try.

Thanks for the help
Charlie

Glad it was a success, and we could help. ;D ;D
#8 - April 18, 2010, 07:30:23 pm

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Glad to read everthing worked out. Nothing like a great party
#9 - April 18, 2010, 07:35:00 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

azcharlie

Here are some pix of my Sunday smoke. As you can see I had a littel problem with the temp on the two Butts. The one took about one and a half hours longer than the first. But it all worked out in the end.

Thanks agen for the help
Charlie

[attachment deleted by admin]
#10 - April 20, 2010, 08:47:58 pm

squealers

This look good!

it this upright smoker electric?

Martin
#11 - April 20, 2010, 09:21:45 pm
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

azcharlie

No I use lump charcoal in it. I built it out of a old refer I had that I wasn't using anymore. Seems to work pretty well. I've done ribs, brisket, pork butts, turkey, dino's, fish and now ABTs. They all seem to come out with good flavor and a good smoke ring.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#12 - April 21, 2010, 08:06:05 am
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:16:15 am by azcharlie »

AZGrilling

is that a wence or a stright smile on that "cooker" ? I see the eyes and nose... Great re-make job.
#13 - April 22, 2010, 09:30:04 am
This space for rent  apply within...

squealers

No I use lump charcoal in it. I built it out of a old refer I had that I wasn't using anymore. Seems to work pretty well. I've done ribs, brisket, pork butts, turkey, dino's, fish and now ABTs. They all seem to come out with good flavor and a good smoke ring.

this cooker looks good... is this a self made thing or do you buy it like that??
#14 - April 22, 2010, 06:26:22 pm
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

Members: