AZ Barbeque.com

Muffin Tin Chicken

Discussion started on

Funtimebbq

Hi All,

I was curious about the method Myron Mixon used on the TLC show last week.  So, I tried cooking chicken in a muffin tin yesterday with the following results.  They were the best bite-through chicken I have ever cooked.  That is not to say, the best competition chicken I have ever tasted, just the best skin I ever cooked.  In order for the thighs to fit, I had to cut the ends of the bones.  I then coated the tins with Parkey, sprinkled some rub (LottaBull, was too salty for my tastes) and stuffed them in skin side down.  I cooked the rest of the chicken as I would normally with the same rub.  After one hour, all chicken was at or above 170.  Took the chicken out of the tins and let it set before putting on a sauce.  The skin bit through on the regular thighs on the first bite but then came off on subsequent bites.  The muffin tin chicken bit through and the skin stayed on throughout.

Here are the photos http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n437/badauto/Muffin%20Tin%20Chicken/

Benny
#1 - December 06, 2009, 03:20:53 pm

jmcrig

Nice job Benny. You've made me hungry.   ;D ;D ;D
#2 - December 06, 2009, 04:07:36 pm

RobOConnell

Thats some tasty looking chicken. Nice pics.
#3 - December 06, 2009, 04:10:01 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

KidCurry

That chicken looks good.
#4 - December 06, 2009, 04:26:57 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Looks great....Nice pic's
#5 - December 06, 2009, 10:00:38 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Looks great.  A lot of teams use the Muffin pan method.  Some use custom ones that fit the chicken.  You can find them at stores that specialize in selling baking items..
#6 - December 06, 2009, 10:21:32 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Funtimebbq

Thanks everyone,

The next day, after microwaving the chicken, it was still moist with bite through skin.

Mike,  I did go to a Walmart looking for the smallest bread pan I could find because I do not like the round look or cutting the bone out/off.  I'll check some catalogs on-line or go to RD to look around.  Something small and rectanglular in size that will allow a full thigh to sit in would be nice.

Benny
#7 - December 07, 2009, 08:24:15 am

jmcrig

Thanks everyone,

The next day, after microwaving the chicken, it was still moist with bite through skin.

Mike,  I did go to a Walmart looking for the smallest bread pan I could find because I do not like the round look or cutting the bone out/off.  I'll check some catalogs on-line or go to RD to look around.  Something small and rectanglular in size that will allow a full thigh to sit in would be nice.

Benny

You might also try Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Just a thought.
#8 - December 07, 2009, 08:29:51 am

Tek465

I wonder if this would work:

Lodge Tableware Divided Rectangle Mini-Server

Div. Rectangular Mini-Server
7-5/8" x 4" interior,
9-11/16" overall length   

I can't remember if I saw them at Cabela's or Bass Pro.
#9 - December 07, 2009, 03:18:53 pm

ddog27

That chicken looks great! I might have to try that one! :)
#10 - December 09, 2009, 12:05:09 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

jmcrig

Might be worth trying.
#11 - December 09, 2009, 12:13:58 pm

force

skin on bottom... did you coat with olive oil at all....
#12 - December 09, 2009, 09:16:34 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Funtimebbq

No olive oil.  I lined the pans with Parkey.  I did this on a whim after seeing the tv show.  Had this been a competition, I would marinate/brine the chicken and put rub under the skin.

Benny
#13 - December 10, 2009, 02:53:16 pm

grizmt

They make a mini loaf pan that should work for you which I've seen at walmart and bed/bath.

Now if I was using that cast iron lodge pan I think I'd give putting a small amount of oil in the bottom, preheating the pan and then putting in the chicken. I do this when I make corn bread and it "quick fries" just the outside making it crispy. Something to try I guess.
#14 - December 14, 2009, 06:09:37 am

mikmuk

I believe the chicken was Myron's ticket to placig in the top 10 at least. I agree it looked awesome. I am curious to try it also. Now I am going to.
#15 - December 19, 2009, 06:00:03 am

Members: