AZ Barbeque.com

Labor day pork-o-rama..

Discussion started on

azkitch

I'll get some pics going before I put 'em on--I hope--but anyway...
It's been quite some time since I posted much a'tall, and longer since I've really smoked something! Even tho' the $ is tight, I dropped $20 on some pork butts from Fart and Spinal--er Smart and Final. I just grabbed the package that looked better than the others at a lower cost. I didn't notice that I'd grabbed boneless until I was unwrapping. Oops. Oh well. Farmer John's minimally processed. I'll be igniting the Pro Q in about an hour and a half, and I'm cooking both hunks tonight. Mojo brick w/R.O. ridged briquettes. Cook to be lubricated with Blue Moon Honey Wheat. For my rub, I'm using a FrankenSpice rub...I started with a mix of remnants of various store-bought and home mixed rubs, added the rest of my Weber KC Style BBQ rub, and an equal portion of Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust. This could be interesting!
Now to nap until time for ignition!
#1 - September 03, 2012, 12:13:01 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AZWildcat

Keep us updated Dave. Happy smoking bud!
#2 - September 03, 2012, 08:28:40 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

azkitch

Well, timing wise, all going well. Set fire around 1:45 AM, got shoulders on about 2:00. ProQ has held right at 250 all night. I doused the butts with rub about 10:30, so they got to sit and cogitate for a while...

After about 6 hours...
#3 - September 03, 2012, 09:45:29 am
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:06:48 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azkitch

My my....something I haven't seen before out of my UDS or the Pro Q...I ran out of fuel! I went to stir the coals, and there were virtually none! Thank Heaven I still had half a chimney worth! I'll see what I can coax out of that for the next hour or so...I have internal temps of 166 and 177...sheesh!
#4 - September 03, 2012, 11:10:44 am
CBJ # 53779

shortbus_35

Dave - what temp are you going to pull them? 
The bark on that last picture look amazing!!!
#5 - September 03, 2012, 11:29:28 am

azkitch

Two butts, one package..the thermometer was reading 167 for the last 3 hours...I moved the probe into the other one, got 197-200...it's sitting in the kitchen, smelling wonderful! Yes, the bark is downright black, and looks very good. I shall soon see!
#6 - September 03, 2012, 01:09:08 pm
CBJ # 53779

Bob Smith

Hey Dave, I'll be over in a bit to try some of that, if you want an objective opinion. ;D
#7 - September 03, 2012, 02:49:00 pm
1 small BGE
FEC 100
BCS CBJ
KCBS CBJ

bobsmith@azbarbeque.com

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Looks good so far
#8 - September 03, 2012, 03:12:10 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

azkitch

Bob--I'd certainly take you up on that offer...I'm impressed, I'll say that much...fantastic texture and moistness. Gotta be one of the best couple butts I've cooked..Another couple pics are in my camera, and I'll post 'em in a while.

After finishing the second one in the oven--I ran out of charcoal, and the wood chunks weren't igniting, and I was sick of messin' with it--I was having a difficult time getting the chunks past my face into the storage container...the results were, again, very very yummy! I'm a happy camper! I just wish I could have had some ribs, too!

#9 - September 03, 2012, 06:39:05 pm
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:05:59 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779

DanielTaylor

It looks really different. The roasted meat over a charcoal is just superb. Dave you are doing a great job. Indeed it is really appreciated. I would like to have some pieces from this roasted chunks. 
#10 - September 27, 2012, 03:40:57 am

Members: