AZ Barbeque.com

First Fattie Today

Discussion started on

dave from mesa

First of all let me say that I have an electric smoker. I know that is not the norm here but that's the way it is. ::)

Well got around to doing my 1st Fattie today. Used some hot sausage that I got from a pork shop. Put some scrambled eggs, onions, and potatoes (cooked together) and added some of those frozen hash-browns in strips and some cheddar cheese. It came out fine except that the sausage overpowered the flavor of everything else. gonna try ground beef next time. Feel free to critique the looks of it. Good or bad will only help make the next one better.

Rolled and setting on the grill ready to smoke.

After about 3 1/2 hrs. Don't know what temp it cooked at as the smoker doesn't have a temp gauge. Took it off at 163.

Put it in the oven to crisp up the bacon. These are the cut pieces.

Also did some Candied Bacon in the over. Pics are a little darker than they really came out. Man were they good.
#1 - January 10, 2010, 07:58:23 pm
dave from mesa

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes.

jmcrig

I think you've done very well on your first one. ;D
#2 - January 10, 2010, 08:02:22 pm

Mrs. McFrankenboo

OK, is that bacon on the fattie really wide or is the fattie or smoker really small!  If that is really wide bacon, where on earth did you find it because I need some!!  :D  We made one for the game today and you can't go wrong with them!  It looks great and now you'll want to experiment with everything and anything you have in the fridge!
#3 - January 10, 2010, 08:05:33 pm

KidCurry

Nice first fatty, great tight bacon roll....my first fatty looked like a turd.  Tasted pretty good but did not looks so hot.  ;)
#4 - January 10, 2010, 08:12:39 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

dave from mesa

The bacon is thick center cut from Costco. Came out to be 4 lbs in 2 diff packages. The fattie was about 11 inches long.
Rolled it up tight in saran wrap. Think that is why it came out so round.
#5 - January 10, 2010, 08:16:02 pm
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:18:05 pm by dave from mesa »
dave from mesa

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes.

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Looks great..  Keep experimenting with them, the possibilities are endless..  ;)
#6 - January 10, 2010, 09:33:43 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

tbonejc

How did you candy the bacon?  Was it good?
#7 - January 11, 2010, 02:33:19 am

azcolt45

Try half sausage and half ground beef. That way the sausage flavor is there but not overpowering
#8 - January 11, 2010, 06:20:12 am
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

dave from mesa

Found the Candied Bacon recipe here:     http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/
Gonna try a mixture of meats next time.
Thanks for all the comments.
#9 - January 11, 2010, 06:28:46 am
dave from mesa

Members: