AZ Barbeque.com

How to temp your smoker for a cold smoke

Discussion started on

rodliv

;D

I think this is a good way to start cold smoking.
#1 - November 28, 2010, 12:44:06 pm
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:52:53 pm by rodliv »
Rod Livingston
R&R BBQ Team

Mark

Funny shot! :D
I've smoked in a Kamado with snow still on it. Now is a good time to cold-smoke. This morning I rubbed down a couple of pork bellies with a mixture of Quick Cure, brown sugar and black pepper. I'll cold-smoke them next weekend with grapevine-- my favorite for bacon. :P I'll just use a few briquettes (or maybe one lump of mesquite) and control the air so the temperature barely rises. I put the ice cold bacon over a pan of ice to keep things cool in the Kamado. After an hour or two, I'll use my Foodsaver to seal and then freeze them for future slicing and frying. My sister-in-law is from MO and loves the stuff. They're my Christmas gift to her.
#2 - November 28, 2010, 05:18:52 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

rodliv

Thanks Mark, if you were to cold smoke some fish, how long and what temp after it has been brined and dried?
#3 - November 28, 2010, 07:20:37 pm
Rod Livingston
R&R BBQ Team

Mark

I've only hot smoked fish, like salmon with alder. And I've made gravlax with a sugar/salt/fresh dill cure, but it's not smoked. But I would imagine fish wouldn't need much smoking time. Here are a couple of articles. One seems to suggest smoking it frozen. Interesting concept. That might be a smart idea from a food safety standpoint.

http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Smoking/cold-smoked-lox.htm

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Smoked_salmon?qsrc=3044#Cold_smoking
#4 - November 29, 2010, 09:24:46 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

rodliv

Thanks again! Cold smoke fish is on my list before the end of the year.  With our winters up here it shouldn't be too hard.
#5 - November 29, 2010, 11:57:18 am
Rod Livingston
R&R BBQ Team

Members: