AZ Barbeque.com

Football food

Discussion started on

azkitch

Hi guys! Long time...
I'm cooking a pork butt covered with Three Little Pigs Touch of Cherry, and a rack of loin back ribs that were on sale at S & F Tempe for $2.49/lb. I haven't got apple juice, but we seem to have a plethora of applesauce in cans, so...I'll let ya know.
Tiara is cooking pioneer chili--soaking beans and cooking with buffalo burger, so we won't have a shortage of food!

I'm cooking with the venerable Pro Q 20 that started out as one of Crash's brood, made it's way to Scott Reisenbigler, then to me when he bolted (briefly) to Iowa.

I was surprised when she burned out of fuel after...uh...about eight and a half hours. I'm using Royal Oak lump, and running the vents wide open, I was getting about 275. A quick relight/reload, and closing a couple vents, now running just under 250.
#1 - January 24, 2016, 02:09:44 pm
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:16:06 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azkitch

Update. I've brought in the butt. The internal temp was measuring a mere 175, but the probe went in like butter, and the bone was loosey goosey. During handling, a thumb sized chunk broke off. It was yummy, of course.
I am considering putting the roast back out there until I bring in the ribs, which may be another 3 hours. Yeah, that's the ticket...
#2 - January 24, 2016, 02:45:53 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mark

Sounds good, Kitch. I just grilled burgers and it was tough keeping it down after watching today's game.  :'(
#3 - January 24, 2016, 09:26:43 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

mustang

Sounds good, Kitch. I just grilled burgers and it was tough keeping it down after watching today's game.  :'(

Good one, Mark!!  Most embarrassing game ever. 

P.S.  I nominate you for overall winner of "best one liners" trophy.  :lamp:
#4 - January 25, 2016, 09:23:43 am

toys4dlr

Check you therm, 175 would not be loose and slide like butter. I am betting the thermo is off. 
#5 - January 25, 2016, 08:05:31 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

azkitch

I used 2 different thermometers. I keep wondering what I was hitting. I wrapped it in foil, had it in the house for about 45 minutes, then stuck it out on the smoker until the ribs were done, maybe another hour.
Seems like the applesauce idea worked fairly well. I was running the smoker near 275, and I think I got a little burn taste going on, but overall, it was pretty darned good!
I keep cooking loin back ribs that have a nice hump of meat on top...they seem meatier than the spares I cook. I sure need to do more research. I think I should cook ribs every weekend...a couple of each. Yeah, that's the ticket!
#6 - February 01, 2016, 09:51:59 pm
CBJ # 53779

Members: