AZ Barbeque.com

Smoke #2 on the WSM - Wild Game Theme

Discussion started on

AZSmoke

Mark,  Thanks for the info, I'll have to try that next time.  I've been using the menion method, e.g. put a bunch of charcoal in the charcoal ring, then use a webber charcoal starter (about 1/2 to 3/4 full) to light some coals, then pour those on top.  So far with both smokes, I'm having issues getting below 250, with all the vents closed right now I'm at 264, and the water pan is full.  Maybe I have too many lumps??

We'll, with a little hotter smoker, progress came pretty quick.  The roast hit 157 in just over 2 hours, so I took them off, sprayed with some apple juice, foiled, toweled, and into a cooler for 2 hours.  I have high hopes for these, heres a pick just out of the smoker.

I'll post results after the 2 hours and them all sliced up.

The fatties finished at about the same time so I had to pull them as well, and as luck would have it, the quail were done as well, what timing  8)(pure luck  :D).  Here a pick just pulled from the smoker and a cut into each.

They were both a tad, and just a tad on the dry/well done side, but man they tasted great.  They're going to be great to add to a fresh salad with lunch for the next couple of weeks!!

Still cooking the butt and roast, so decided to pu the ABT's on the grill as well, straight forward, just jalepeno's, 1/2 slice of bacon wrapped, non-fat cottage cheese (I'm on a diet, I know, kind of like diet coke with my big'mac) , and black pepper on top.

I'll post picks of the sliced venison roast, the ABT's, when they're finished.  I'm going to take the butt and chuck to 200 and try to pull, so that maybe tomorrow! 

Thanks again for the input from all.

Karl
#16 - December 05, 2009, 08:13:26 pm

jmcrig

Karl, what are you using for fuel, lump, Blue K, or Comp K?
#17 - December 05, 2009, 08:18:16 pm

AZSmoke

Mark, Using lump, it was komado Joe from BBQ Island, this week I picked up some the Good One lumps.  I may try the brikets next time, from the reading sounds/seems like maybe they are a little easier to manage or keep a constant temp.  I seem to be able to keep the temp, and can increase the temp pretty easy, but the lowering seems to be my challenge, especially below 250.

Karl
#18 - December 05, 2009, 08:32:06 pm

jmcrig

Lump does burn hotter than briquettes.
#19 - December 05, 2009, 08:47:21 pm

RobOConnell

And once you get it hot, its harder to lower the temps. I have learned to watch it going up and try to control it that direction. As temps get close to my desired setting, I start to close off the vents until temps get stable. If I need a higher temp, then again I work the vents until temps are where I need. Lowering temps once they have exceeded the desired settings are very difficult and time consuming. Hope that helps.
#20 - December 06, 2009, 09:57:21 am
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

AZSmoke

Thanks Mark/Bugnasty.  Thinking about it, I probably left the top off too long, which created a great funnel and really got things going.  Once I drop the lite lumps on I probably should assemble the whole thing and monitor temps, then worry about getting the meat on.  I've been doing it just the opposite, and closing everything up only after I have everything loaded up.  Makes sense, I'll give that a try next time.

Mark, you use the maverick probes right?  If so, have you ever callobrated yours?  If so, how did you do it, as the instructions say not to submerge the probe in water, and that's about the only way I know of to callibrate them.

By the way, the venison roast came out ok, good flavor, fairly moist, but a little tough.  I'm think they cooked too fast and probably at too high a temp.  I'll have to wait for next year to see if I can get some more venison to try it out again, or hopefully can give it a try on Oryx if I'm able to get one this month.

Thanks again for all the input, really appreciate it.

Karl
#21 - December 06, 2009, 09:32:33 pm

jmcrig

Karl, never felt the need to calibrate mine. If yours needs to be calibrated, I'd switch ports on the two probes first to see if you've got a bad probe. Maybe use hot water with another thermometer. If your unit is off, I'd call Maverick.
#22 - December 06, 2009, 09:40:17 pm

AZSmoke

Thanks Mark, I don't think I have an issue, was more from the stand point of validating that they are reading properly.  As the weber temp gauge on the top lid, is about 50 degree's off from the maverik.  I'm sure the weber temp gauge is the one that's off, but I'm curious to see how accurate the maverik is, that's all.

#23 - December 07, 2009, 09:34:53 am

KidCurry

Looks delicious!  Great looking fattie.
#24 - December 07, 2009, 09:45:33 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

RobOConnell

Glad to help Karl. And I speak from experience as well. I used to go at it from the other side too. Temps are much easier watching them go up than it is to get them to come down. Thats what were here for.
#25 - December 08, 2009, 11:14:14 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

Members: