AZ Barbeque.com

thursdays pork butt.

Discussion started on

jmcrig

Looks good, and butts are on sale here this week. Maybe it will have to be a porkout this weekend.  ;D
#16 - April 29, 2010, 05:12:27 pm
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:34:31 pm by jmcrig »

dieselfuel

Tell that damn butt to give up the ghost already!!!  Over 100 beers, nice. That's a lot of drinking.

we're at 185 right now, its coming along.  i took the ribs out of the smoker and threw them on the grill, with an indirect heat setup. the smoker jumped back up to 240 almost immediately, lol!  dinner is gonna be a little later than i planned but it'll happen either way.

yeah that collection has accumulated over the last 3-4yrs.  ive really slacked off on the beer drinking over the last year or two. 
#17 - April 29, 2010, 06:21:02 pm
Trailhound Smokers BBQ team, Las Vegas, NV

dieselfuel

ok, 190 right now... gonna pull it in a few min.
#18 - April 29, 2010, 07:04:05 pm

dieselfuel

well i took it off at 190 and let it rest about 30min.  it was at 195 when i pulled it.

it turned out really good, but very different.  ive never tried Dr Pepper injecting before and it definitely had a big impact on the end result.  not sure if i'll do it again, or if i do ill use less of it.  like i said it was good, my dad (trailhound) agreed and everyone liked it but it was pretty unique.  the ribs came out spicier than i wanted because i was out of honey and brown sugar to wrap them with, but with sauce they were good.

unwrapped

choppin it up.  i wanna get some of those bear claw thingies

all chopped up

#19 - April 29, 2010, 08:52:51 pm

PAT YOUNG

LOOKS good!!!!
#20 - April 30, 2010, 12:32:54 am

brandon

I tried Dr. Pepper a few times and as encouraging as it seemed I decided prunes and BBQ do not play well with each other. I hope yours tasted better than mine. Prunes are not on my list anymore.
#21 - April 30, 2010, 12:41:15 am

dieselfuel

I tried Dr. Pepper a few times and as encouraging as it seemed I decided prunes and BBQ do not play well with each other. I hope yours tasted better than mine. Prunes are not on my list anymore.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. It was good, just not what I wanted.
#22 - April 30, 2010, 05:32:26 am

squealers

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. It was good, just not what I wanted.

have you tried to NOT foil?

It looked so much better before you foiled it. The bark goes away in foil paper. or maybe foil 4 hours in the middle and get it back to the cooked after that!
#23 - April 30, 2010, 07:51:24 am
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

dieselfuel

No I haven't, this was my first time with a pork butt. I'll try it next time.
#24 - April 30, 2010, 08:17:06 am

Members: