AZ Barbeque.com

Brisket

Discussion started on

bairman

I am looking for someplace to buy a good beef brisket. I live in the west valley and my local Sam's and Costco usually have a small selection with an average of 5-6 pounds. Fry's is not helpful at all, so any suggestions would be great.
#1 - August 23, 2011, 11:38:58 am

RudedoggAZ

Wallmart has select packers briskets.. 2.18 per lb. Or you can always ask the butcher at sams to order the packers in. They are the same price and they are choice Angus.
#2 - August 23, 2011, 11:56:32 am

jmcrig

RD always has choice Angus packers.
#3 - August 23, 2011, 12:13:24 pm

azkitch

I work at Sam's @ 15Ave and Hell..er..Bell road. They usually have a couple packers in the 12-15 # range. That includes 2.5# of fat on the back. But it is Choice. Fart and Spinal, er Smart and Final carries packers, too. Their's are select, and they're proud of 'em! Restaurant Depot's are more closely trimmed than those at Sam's, but more $, too. KCBS members can get a day pass at RD. Or go on a field trip with one of us. I'm near I 17 and Greenway, and I have been known to go in there just to go in and look. Their pork butts are decently priced, and the same thing as Sam's.
#4 - August 23, 2011, 02:34:53 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Tom72

I would definitely say Restaurant Depot.  I was just in there today scoping things out for an upcoming cook.  They had probably 20 nice briskets in the case, averaging between 15 and 18 pounds each.  I think the price was $2.48 per pound or somewhere around there.  I also stopped by Sam's Club to do some comparison shopping, and they didn't even have any briskets in the case.  Sam's meat department is pretty nice, but hit and miss as far as what they have.  I have seen them in Sam's before, but I agree with Dave that the briskets at RD are trimmed up nicer and wouldn't need much prep once you get it home.  That's where I'll be picking up mine when I'm ready.
#5 - August 23, 2011, 04:53:09 pm
Always remember that you are unique and special...just like everybody else.

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

I usually get my Briskets at RD, but I live across the street from Sams and If I tell the Butcher that I need a certain size brisket he usually hold one in the back for me.
#6 - August 23, 2011, 05:07:22 pm
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

bairman

Thanks to everybody for the comments. I just got a new Trager, still have my stick smoker, and will try this weekend on some ribs. If it goes well I will then try a brisket. I will check out Walmart and maybe another Sams to see if they have anything good. I may take somebody up on a trip to RD to see what they have.
#7 - August 24, 2011, 10:08:25 am

barbedQ

Price is a little higher but my Albertson's is always a pretty good fall back point.   They sell choice.   I've got a good relationship with our butcher there and I just ask him to hold back anything bigger than 15 and give me a call.  he's pretty good about remembering every couple of weeks.
#8 - August 24, 2011, 09:41:56 pm
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

bairman

I was at my local Fry's yesterday and I thought that I would check them  to see what they had, and by God they had a 8 lb brisket for only $4.95 a pound. :D
#9 - August 25, 2011, 12:03:44 pm

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Yea, Fry's is expensive...I used to be able to flat cuts at a good price. Not anymore  :(
#10 - August 25, 2011, 01:06:00 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Crash

I was at my local Fry's yesterday and I thought that I would check them  to see what they had, and by God they had a 8 lb brisket for only $4.95 a pound. :D
Yeah......that's not a good price at all.  I found three 11-12 packers out here at 2.58/lb and they all sucked. $4.95 a lb......were they flats?
#11 - August 26, 2011, 02:23:39 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AzScott

Costco is ridiculous on brisket as well.  I looked last night and the flats were $4.99 a pound.  Between the heat, hay issues in Texas and higher feed and transportation costs it's been really hard to find a good brisket.   
#12 - August 26, 2011, 11:38:01 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

AZWildcat

Costco is ridiculous on brisket as well.  I looked last night and the flats were $4.99 a pound.  Between the heat, hay issues in Texas and higher feed and transportation costs it's been really hard to find a good brisket.  
Scott, was that the trimmed brisket flat? For some reason when you buy the flat in cryo from Costco they are about 3 bucks a pound (3.29 seems about right here).  They then take them out, trim the heck out of them,and put them in their butcher wrappings for 5 bucks a pound. For those who don't know, you can always ask the Costco butcher, they almost always seeem to have the flats in cryo in the back. They are real nice about bringing out a cart full and giving you the pick.
#13 - August 26, 2011, 12:28:16 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

AzScott

It was trimmed.  There was one massive one that made me :-* and then I saw the price ???.  At that point I put my  :police: hat back on, thanked the powers that be  :angel: that I have 2 nice ones in the freezer.  It made me  ;D and wish I was cool enough to look like this >>> O0.  I realized I'm not that cool but maybe I was this cool >>  8).  Bekke was looking at me like this  ::) and I realized that perhaps I am a bit odd  :-[.
#14 - August 26, 2011, 01:44:49 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

AZWildcat

Scott, it's a bit early to be drinking, eh?
#15 - August 26, 2011, 02:51:09 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Members: