AZ Barbeque.com

This weeks goods..

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

Started off w/ a packer whole brisket. After I got it out, not the greatest looking, with only moderate trimming needed. This is only my 3rd brisket, so tips are of course welcome. Used a basic rub, threw on some worstershire sause, made a bit of a paste. Back in the fridge over night. Back out around 5am (slept in, alarm clock error, meant to be up at 3ish). Already had the smoker going and up to a low temp.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - March 13, 2010, 04:13:21 pm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:26:29 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

AZWildcat

This afternoon.....put together some goodies together, kinda experimenting.

1. Stuffed some whole onions with sausage, bacon, more grilled onions, basil, oregano, and tomatoes. wrapped them in bacon, threw them on!

2. Stufffed some cleaned out frim big tomatoes with sausage, scallions, crumbled bacon, parm cheese and spices. covered in more parm cheese, then on to the smoker.

3. ABT's, w/ 2 different kinds of cream cheese along w/ cheddar cheese and monterey jack. wrapped in thick cut bacon, BECAUSE BACON MAKES EVERTHING BETTER!

[attachment deleted by admin]
#2 - March 13, 2010, 04:21:07 pm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:26:03 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

AZWildcat

Just waiting now. Might put some stuffed mushrooms on. Dunno..........just waiting for brisket temp to get up. What is a good temp to pull off the brisket then wrap it for a cooler? 185? I'm sure it's gonna still raise it's temp 5 to 10 degrees. What works w/ you experienced smokers?
#3 - March 13, 2010, 04:23:44 pm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:25:40 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

KidCurry

Stuffed onion NICE!!!  Keeps us posted how they turn out.
#4 - March 13, 2010, 06:59:11 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Crash

Just waiting now. Might put some stuffed mushrooms on. Dunno..........just waiting for brisket temp to get up. What is a good temp to pull off the brisket then wrap it for a cooler? 185? I'm sure it's gonna still raise it's temp 5 to 10 degrees. What works w/ you experienced smokers?
When we first started out we pulled our brisket and rested it at 195.  Nowdays, we just check for the correct feeling when a temperature probe is inserted into the side of the meat.  When that probe goes in with zero resistance, like a knife through room temp butter, you're there.
#5 - March 13, 2010, 09:02:11 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AZWildcat

I pulled it at 185, sould have waited longer. Gave it an hour rest, but just not very good. Man, I thought I smoked the heck out of this for the first 4-5 hours, but I only have a small ring. I've used mesquite in the past 2 times, with a nice smoke ring. This time I did hickory, is that a difference is ring apperance?  It isn't dry (but not real moist), but it does fall apart and crumble easy, which isn't my target. The onions turned out awsome, the tomatoes were great, but i've got to find something to make the tomato itself more edible. It still had a great shape, just no taste. But hey, that's the fun part of experimenting.......I get to do it again!

Any suggestions on the brisket? I think I need better insight to the trimming, anyone know of a good web site or book?
#6 - March 14, 2010, 09:17:12 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

AzJohnnyC

Was the brisket room temperature when you put it on? The colder the meat is when it goes on, the more the smoke will penetrate it. And, maybe someone else can chime in here, but I don't think it should have crumbled apart at that low of a temperature.
#7 - March 14, 2010, 09:37:55 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

azkitch

Was the brisket room temperature when you put it on? The colder the meat is when it goes on, the more the smoke will penetrate it. And, maybe someone else can chime in here, but I don't think it should have crumbled apart at that low of a temperature.

X2...wood type shouldn't make difference. Mesquite has the rep of the most harsh wood to use, and I once read a scientific explanation as to why...wish like heck I could find it again! Hickory is second. Pecan is hickory's first cousin, basically same flavor, not as easy to oversmoke with. The smoke ring comes from nitrates or nitrites (??) forming as a chemical reaction between the meat and the smoke; what I've read says smoke ring will quit forming around 130/140 degrees. Colder on=longer time from there to 140=larger smoke ring. That's the prevailing theory.
I love your idea of stuffed onions. I need to free up my creative side!
#8 - March 14, 2010, 10:43:40 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

As Johnny Said, the colder the meat, the more time the smoke has to penetrate and create that nice smoke ring.

Stuffed Onions??  I have never heard of that.  Sounds interesting.  Do you eat the onion as well or just the stuffing?

I love Onions and this might be something I think you need to bring out for one of our Midnight Appetizer Events..  Hint Hint..  ;)
#9 - March 14, 2010, 12:34:16 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AZWildcat

Here are some pics....better tasting a day later. Reheated w/ sauce!

As for the onions, just left 2 rings for a wall. Tasted fantastic. Precooked everything first them assmebled the onions, smoked for a few hours. You can eat some of the onion, but I grilled some onion first and included them in the ingredients. Otherwise they make a great bowl.

The onions went quick, too fast for pics!

Any tips are greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to get up enough game, get a few smokers together, and maybe make the Prescott festival this summer. I'm trying like crazy!
#10 - March 14, 2010, 12:45:57 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Quiggs

Yeah the onion thing looks sweet!!!  I think I will  be trying that one soon......!
#11 - March 14, 2010, 09:55:54 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

Members: