AZ Barbeque.com

2nd Brisket

Discussion started on

graves83

I made a brisket Saturday night. I went low & slow with it. I cooked it fat side down till it hit 170. Then I wrapped with foil and added broth & juice. I then took off the smoker at 205 and then let it rest for an hour foiled in the oven. The brisket was 12 lbs before trimming. The bark was dry and tough. Any suggestions on what I may have done wrong or some way in getting around the tough bark issue. The brisket wasn't fork tender. I was getting concerned with it drying out, so I pulled it early. It was smoking at 225 for 17 hours and hit an internal temp of 205. Should I have gone longer with it? I did the probe several times after the 13 hours mark with it still giving me resistance.

#1 - August 30, 2010, 08:54:46 pm
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:56:27 pm by graves83 »

AZWildcat

Heres a few questions Ryan......what are you smoking it in? did you have a constant therm temp? do you have pics of the slices? Here's my 2 cents.....so take it for what its worth.  ???  I spray mine down every 60-90 minutes during the smoke. I cook fat side up the whole way, but that is matter of preference, i've seen it done every way possible. The "theory" is that as fat renders it melts thru the meat, but that's also a matter of opinion.  170 might be a little early to foil, unless you are running out of time and need to crutch, otherwise try 175-180. 17 hours for 12lb brisket prior to trimming (so i'm assuming 10lbs?) seems a bit long, but briskets can be a fight, regardless of size. Also, don't forget to mark your brisket for cutting later. Take a corner out of the flat so you know which way the grain runs.

Keep trying....cause when it's good, it's GREAT. Otherwise, I can think of many things you could still do w/ the pieces.
#2 - August 30, 2010, 10:23:20 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

graves83

AZWildcat,

Thanks for the advice. I used A 18.5 WSM for the cook. It held pretty constant at 225 throughout the night. I have some of it frozen, so the next time I pull some out of the freezer, I'll take a picture. This is second one, so I know it's going to take some time before I get it perfect. I also think I need to go to some comps. to get an idea of what good brisket tastes and looks like. I'll try fat side up next time and wait to foil a little bit longer.
#3 - August 31, 2010, 08:27:15 am

AZWildcat

Well Ryan, if you come to Tucson next month stop by our Starr Pass booth. I can't promise you what brisket should taste like,  but I might come remotely close.
#4 - September 01, 2010, 04:45:47 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

studglove

azwildcat, if i stop by the booth in tucson may I sample what real brisket should taste like?
#5 - September 01, 2010, 08:06:41 pm

graves83

Sounds Good Dan,

Yeah I plan on going, I wanted to compete in that competion..but the entry fee is kind of steep for just me.
#6 - September 02, 2010, 10:10:55 am

AZWildcat

Of course Leonard, but real brisket is prob found in the real veterans booths. I'm just trying to make the food edible!
#7 - September 02, 2010, 11:07:34 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Members: