AZ Barbeque.com

1st UDS brisket.........

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

Only the 3rd UDS cook, but the 1st UDS brisket. Done a few on the WSM, but I got big hopes for the UDS. The WSM is Qing a single rack of spares today.Few tbl spns of Worst sauce on the brisket w/ the rub for a slight paste. Injected w/ some beef broth and little rub mixed in.
We'll see................

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - April 25, 2010, 12:41:33 pm
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:43:05 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

AZWildcat

Just crutched at 170.....looks great!
#2 - April 25, 2010, 01:50:46 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

AZWildcat

Need help..........I crutched it at 170 after about 4hrs of smoking. It took another 2.5 to get up to 200 where I pulled it off and foiled it for 2hrs. I just cut in to it and it's HORRIBLE!!!!!!  It's dry, tough and tasteless. My first thought was for a 10lb brisket, 6.5 hrs just cant be long enough, but the temp dictates. It tastes like a bad unflavored roast. Thought I had more then enough hickory in the basket.  I did a real bad of finding enough of the fat and trimming it down, still had a ton on it over 3/4" thick. This is the worst iv'e ever done (only done a few though). Any help?

Seems we all post our accomplishments, but rarely put up our failures. Maybe it's just me turning out Q this bad, but man this is BAD!  My WSM does a better job, is it the UDS? I kept it at 250 steady smokin', then bumped it up to 280-290 after it was crutched.

Good news....the WSM put out some great spares, so lunch was saved.

Again, any suggestions what I may have done wrong again?

[attachment deleted by admin]
#3 - April 25, 2010, 04:52:32 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

jmcrig

Not to overstate the obvious, but are you sure about your thermometer and it's placement in the meat. The other thing, I don't think I've ever cooked a brisket for less than 10 or 12 hours, crutched or not. The ultimate test of a brisket is the toothpick test. In and out like it was butter, briskets done. Hope this helps, good luck.
#4 - April 25, 2010, 05:03:53 pm

RudedoggAZ

Well, Now you have some good chili meat!  :) I was going to say something about the probe. Did you have it in the flat or the point? I don't really trust a probe on a brisket and go more by cook time and the toothpick test.
#5 - April 25, 2010, 09:17:00 pm

azkitch

Mayhap you hit some fat. Did you probe and re probe? In the flat? I'd go lower with the temps, myself. It isn't the UDS. Rephrase--HIGHLY unlikely. Like Chris said, you've got chili meat. Perhaps trim fat closer--no sense in using fuel and time to cook through 1/2 inch of fat you don't need to. I really need to cook more briskets. I just wish I had a thermometer that would chart the temp vs. time. What kind of electronic tech am I, anyway! Where's my Heathkit catalog!

If anyone got that, YOU'RE OLD!
#6 - April 25, 2010, 09:51:01 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AZWildcat

Yeah, i'm ditching that therm tomorrow........second that, TODAY! When it got to 160, I thought it was awfully fast, so I double checked w/ a manual stick therm, and it hit "around" 160, but not so far off to seem suspicious (prob 157 or so). I just couldn't believe it hit 200 that fast (6.5hr). I shoulda trusted my gut on this one.  The fat hadn't rendered enough, not enough real bark, tough as leather. I've been using two separate electronic therms, one for the grate temp and one for food. Great reason (uhh...excuse) to go for a new dual temp therm now. Junked a 20 dollar piece of meat.

Anyone know of a good article / video on trimming a brisket? Just don't do it enough I guess. Prob took 1/2lb off but needed much more I guess.
#7 - April 25, 2010, 10:22:28 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

azkitch

Half pound? That's the first slice trimming a brisket! Seriously, I swear I took off nearly 4 from a 14 pounder. There's a great vid or 2 on youtube re: brisket trimming. First you cut off the fat around the front of the point...That's a pound...I chucked a big lump o' that in one of my CI skillets to render. Nice to have some rendered beef fat around for nice rich gravy!!
Good luck. Just get brave and start slicin'. If you hit meat, backoff!! goes easier the second time.
By the way, I started looking for an electronic thermometer kit, without much luck. Dammit, I knew I should've taken engineering!
#8 - April 25, 2010, 11:15:31 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AZWildcat

Half pound? That's the first slice trimming a brisket! Seriously, I swear I took off nearly 4 from a 14 pounder.

Yeah, I gotta get better at that, no doubt. Its a trail and error process indeed....
By the way, I started looking for an electronic thermometer kit, without much luck. Dammit, I knew I should've taken engineering!
I'm looking now, figure to get a ET-73 dual probe therm unless someone gives a better suggestion.

Thx AZKITCH
#9 - April 25, 2010, 11:42:56 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

AZGrilling

I just wish I had a thermometer that would chart the temp vs. time. What kind of electronic tech am I, anyway! Where's my Heathkit catalog!

If anyone got that, YOU'RE OLD!

Yea I got that.. thanks for the memories.. My first "you build it computer " was a Heathkit.. bad memories..

I have not tried a brisket yet.. but its comming soon..

#10 - April 26, 2010, 08:18:32 am
This space for rent  apply within...

toys4dlr

In my opinion, you are cooking too hot for the uds.  If you did not get enough flavor, it was IMHO that the brisket reached 140 too fast and stop taking smoke.  I might be in the minority here, but I don't poke holes any more in the meat with probes.  Don't need any extra places for the juice to run out of.  But, I have to admit my smoker used to look like it was on life support with all the probes wires coming out of it.  

Try backing down the fire to 210 -225 and add another chuck to the pile, for more smoke.   I don't crank the heat unless I am running late, even after I foil.

Enjoy the chili, it is known as Whoops Chili  ;D
#11 - April 26, 2010, 08:31:35 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

bobbyqmark

I agree , I put a therm in the smoker to watch the temp, but I just do the touch test on the brisket. When its soft, its ready.
I usaully cook at about 200-215.
As far as chili, sometimes I pull a brisket early so I can make a good 4 hour chili - its the best.
#12 - April 26, 2010, 08:45:46 am

AZWildcat

Yeah, I think the BBQ Gods just beat me down a notch. Kinda put me in my bbq place I guess.  This UDS holds a great temp, unbelieveably steady and easy to adjust, more so than my WSM (which is easy too)  I'm just getting use to the thing, but have noted that things just cook faster, at the same temp, as a WSM. Oh well, that's what it's all about, the sometimes brutal learning curve.

Thanks for the help guys. At least I killed a few Corona Soldiers in the attempt.
#13 - April 26, 2010, 10:51:21 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

bobbyqmark

BBQ gods are cruel.
As soon as you think you know whats what, they call your number.
worse than murphys law.
#14 - April 26, 2010, 01:32:39 pm

AZWildcat

BBQ gods are cruel.
As soon as you think you know whats what, they call your number.
Amen.......can I get a hallelujah brotha?
#15 - April 26, 2010, 03:33:37 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Members: