AZ Barbeque.com

First smoke on the WSM

Discussion started on

AZSmoke

Mark, I was actually thinking about drilling a hole, but wanted to see if others had done that as well, was concerned with creating another air vent so to speak, I could alway's close it up if need be.

AZKitch, thanks for the insight, I was smoking with my stomach in mind vs economical use of my fuel, I planned to have the chicken for mid afternoon/evening dinner and didn't want to wait for the pork/beef to complete.  But now that you have pointed that out, it makes perfect sense and I'll keep that in mind going forward.

On the probe, it came with a grate clip, which I was using.  But I was smoking all the meats on the lower rack, so I took the wires out of the silver door (where you add more fuel or water) instead of out of the top.  I was concerned about crunching the wire with the weight of the lid.  When I added the pork/meat and more fuel, the wire drop down towards the fuel area, and the initial spike in temp I got is when the HHH showed up. 

So overall, lots of lessons learned on the maiden voyage here, now just need to see if I will remember all of them for the next time. Probably should do something sooner rather then later, I hear repetition is the best way to learn and engrave the process into the brain!! :)

I think a hole like Mark suggested would work best so long as the holes are higher up and not too big.

Thans again for all the input, really appreciate it.

Karl
#16 - November 30, 2009, 09:55:21 am

jmcrig

Karl, I did mine just under the top rim about an inch. I did two 1/8 inch holes. Could probably gotten by with just one hole, but what the hell, I had a full battery pack on the drill.
#17 - November 30, 2009, 10:00:33 am

bbqfun

Another caution with the Maverick probe:  I was smoking some ribs and when I went to add chicken I pulled the smoker probe out to rearrange things.  Closed the lid and went back to the football game and noticed my temp was dropping so I stirred the fire and back to the game.  Temp was still dropping so I added more fuel and back to game again.  When it continued to drop I knew something was wrong (I am sooo bright)  I had forgotten to put probe back into smoker and temp was between 375 and 400.  Ribs looked like a huge chunk of lump charcoal.  Lesson learned I hope!!! 
#18 - November 30, 2009, 11:01:55 am

jmcrig

Another caution with the Maverick probe:  I was smoking some ribs and when I went to add chicken I pulled the smoker probe out to rearrange things.  Closed the lid and went back to the football game and noticed my temp was dropping so I stirred the fire and back to the game.  Temp was still dropping so I added more fuel and back to game again.  When it continued to drop I knew something was wrong (I am sooo bright)  I had forgotten to put probe back into smoker and temp was between 375 and 400.  Ribs looked like a huge chunk of lump charcoal.  Lesson learned I hope!!! 

Not BBQfun. Sorry, couldn't help myself.  >:D >:D >:D
#19 - November 30, 2009, 11:16:22 am

bbqfun

Wrong, still bbqfun, chicken was ok, game was good and beer was GREAT!
#20 - November 30, 2009, 11:38:35 am

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

BBQ, Beer, and Football Ya gotta love it
#21 - November 30, 2009, 03:33:17 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

force

it's all about the practice
#22 - November 30, 2009, 09:13:48 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

smitty250

BBQ, Beer, and Football Ya gotta love it

The Tri-fecta of all that is Holy!!
#23 - December 01, 2009, 11:54:45 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

The Tri-fecta of all that is Holy!!

AMEN ;D ;D ;D ;D
#24 - December 01, 2009, 07:35:17 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Beercicle

you've probably checked out this resource already, but there's a site dedicated to WSM cooking--just do a google search for WSM and it'll pop up near the top.  I've been cooking on the WSM for years and think they're the best for the price.  Have had consistently good results in competition and in the backyard. 

In terms of drilling a hole, I've done it and it works fine--although it hurts like hell at first...I've also dropped the probe through an air vent and let it dangle near the food...

Cheers, Beercicle
#25 - December 26, 2009, 03:06:17 pm
Work is the curse of the drinking class!

jmcrig

you've probably checked out this resource already, but there's a site dedicated to WSM cooking--just do a google search for WSM and it'll pop up near the top.  I've been cooking on the WSM for years and think they're the best for the price.  Have had consistently good results in competition and in the backyard. 

In terms of drilling a hole, I've done it and it works fine--although it hurts like hell at first...I've also dropped the probe through an air vent and let it dangle near the food...

Cheers, Beercicle

I know, the first one I did was worse than if it were my finger.
#26 - December 26, 2009, 03:28:08 pm

AzJohnnyC

Cheers, Beercicle

I just saw www.virtualweberbullet.com yesterday, is that the site you're talking about?  I use my ProQ mostly, but still saw alot of good info there.
#27 - December 26, 2009, 03:32:13 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Smoker Man

I cook my pulled pork to 200-205 also.   As for your mystery meat that was tough, next time if that happens, cube it and use it for chili.  That smoke flavor tastes great.  BBQ Boys on UTube make a chili on the grill first smoking the roast.  also, a great idea they used is to smoke the onion slices before cooking with them.  MMMMM.  For a side dish I quarter tomatoes and apply some flavorings (what ever I can reach and still hold my beer), basal, oregano, etc... and smoke that for a good 20-30 minutes while you let your meat rest(!).

LOL! the comment on the loss of heat and still stoking the fire...ending up forgetting to put the probe back into the smoker!  I did that once, too!  Probe was hiding behind a beer.  Lesson learned: keep the beer IN HAND.

#28 - December 29, 2009, 01:44:09 am

Beercicle

sounds like a great first go with the WSM.  You may have checked out this site already, but www.virtualweberbullet.com has TONS of great recipes and advice for first time and veteran WSM folks.  Highly recommend.

With the probe, I've also put my probe through a hunk of potato to suspend it above the grate.  Worked just fine.  Good luck!

Beers
#29 - December 29, 2009, 01:33:12 pm
Work is the curse of the drinking class!

Members: