AZ Barbeque.com

Poll

How do you prepare your peppers for ABT's?

I only remove the seeds.
8.3%
2 (8.3%)
I remove the seeds and membrane.
45.8%
11 (45.8%)
I do not remove the stem.
8.3%
2 (8.3%)
I do remove the stem.
8.3%
2 (8.3%)
I use the whole pepper.
8.3%
2 (8.3%)
I slice it into two halves.
20.8%
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 14

ABT's

Discussion started on

richoso12

I know that everyone has a certain way of preparing peppers for ABT's. I slice them in half, and only remove the seeds. How do you prepare peppers?
#1 - May 15, 2011, 11:56:42 am
GOSM big block, Weber 22.5 in one touch, AMZN cold smoker. I Grow NM Heritage 6-4, NM Jalmundo, NM Vaquero, Poblano,Serrano Tampiqueno. Habaneros are Orange, Antilla, Bondo Ma Jacque, and Red Savina. I use mesquite, cherry, apple, alder, and red oak chunks.

AZWildcat

I cut off the small end and then take out the seed and lining. Stuffed with flavored cream cheese and a cold yellow or american cheese. I wrap it all with a thick bacon to cover the end used for stuffing. Throw a little rub on it and your good.
#2 - May 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Rob Albach

Sliced in half(seeds removed), filled with cream chees, add a lil smokie sausage and wrap in bacon...Dust with a sweet rub then smoke for about an hour = Delicious
#3 - May 15, 2011, 01:32:04 pm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:38:04 pm by Rob Albach »
AZTEC BBQ
Meadow Creek TS120/BBQ42
Charbroil Offset
Weber Kettle

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I have made these several ways, but by far, the easiest is cutting off the top, slicing them in half, clearing out all the seeds & membrane, then stuffing it with whatever mix you like and wrapping it with bacon.

Then put some BBQ Rub on it and smoke it for about an hour.

Awesome appetizers..
#4 - May 15, 2011, 02:05:35 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

chefrob

nice thread rich.....
i remove the top and seed pod, fill 3/4 way with cream chz, then plug the top wth menonita or oaxaca chz, then wrap with bacon and dust with some of my rub.
#5 - May 15, 2011, 03:03:10 pm

Quiggs

I like two ways, sliced in half when in a hurry with sausage and provalone cheese wrapped in bacon. Or when I have time top cut off and cream cheese mixed with whatever I can find and bacon wrapped of course...

Quiggs
#6 - May 15, 2011, 04:11:45 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

n2dabluebbq

remove the stem. remove seeds and membrane. from here find your favorite ingredients and stuff them. take a slice of bacon and lay it over the hole where the stem was cut off. put a toothpick through the pepper and bacon. cook to desired doneness. i use a pepper grill to cook them on.

#7 - May 15, 2011, 10:28:51 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Atlas

I usually cut off the top and slice in half.  If I do 20 peppers, I keep the seeds from 1 of them and throw them in while I am browing some hot Italian sausage.  Drain and crumble the sausage and let cool then mix with cream cheese.  Stuff the peppers and wrap with bacon, usually thin sliced.  A tooth pick to hold it all together and smoke for about an hour.  Tried the little smokies once but it didn't go over as well.  That Texas shaped pepper rack looks sweet, I got to get me one of those!

Jim
#8 - May 16, 2011, 05:01:38 pm
Fire Magic Charcoal Grill, ECB, NBBD with 20 Lb tuning plate, Pro Q Frontier.

millie

I have been making these for a few years now and have found that smoking them for 3 hours at 220deg make a better product.
Just saying!!!
#9 - May 19, 2011, 12:35:42 pm
TRAILER MOUNTED REVERSE FLOW OFFSET SMOKER
BARBEQUES GALORE "BAR-B-CHEF" OFFSET SMOKER
BRINKMAN UPRIGHT SMOKER
KINGSFORD KETTLE
BARBEQUES GALORE "COOK-ON" GAS GRILL

richoso12

Hi Millie, and thanks for your reply. Can you tell us what is different by smoking them for three hours, as opposed to less than three hours?
#10 - May 19, 2011, 04:24:32 pm
GOSM big block, Weber 22.5 in one touch, AMZN cold smoker. I Grow NM Heritage 6-4, NM Jalmundo, NM Vaquero, Poblano,Serrano Tampiqueno. Habaneros are Orange, Antilla, Bondo Ma Jacque, and Red Savina. I use mesquite, cherry, apple, alder, and red oak chunks.

n2dabluebbq

don't know about dave, but the longer i cook mine, the less heat they seem to have. also not s crisp when bitten in to. i normally cook mine for 45-1 hour.
#11 - May 21, 2011, 09:39:29 am
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

millie

I just think the flavors meld together better over time.
And I have not had any trouble with them not being crisby.
I have entered them in a few contest and won 1st place every time.
A few years ago I served them at the race at PIR and had a couple of mexican chicks try to kidnape me.
#12 - May 22, 2011, 12:11:31 pm
TRAILER MOUNTED REVERSE FLOW OFFSET SMOKER
BARBEQUES GALORE "BAR-B-CHEF" OFFSET SMOKER
BRINKMAN UPRIGHT SMOKER
KINGSFORD KETTLE
BARBEQUES GALORE "COOK-ON" GAS GRILL

Bill Bain

I like the stem to remain on the pepper so I slit the side of the pepper, remove the seeds and stuff with cream cheese mixed with rub then close the pepper tightly with bacon tightly wrapped around the pepper and put in smoker at 250 until the bacon is done.  I present the ABT on a piece of flowered kale and a dipping cup of Ranch dressing. 
#13 - December 29, 2012, 02:34:45 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

chefrob

sounds good bill and thx for bringing a thread to the top started from someone who is missed dearly......
#14 - December 30, 2012, 06:45:34 pm

someAZdude

Yeah, cool thread. I just made some for the second time. These were really good! I removed the seeds and membrane and sliced in half lengthwise. Stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon. Used some Mad Hunky rub on them and slathered with Sweet Baby Rays. I like the idea of holding back some seeds and using it in a mix with sausage and such. Might try something liike that next time.
#15 - January 01, 2013, 03:02:10 pm
Not a competition cook. Just doing it because I love the taste/smell/creativity and enjoy feeding people!
Using a WSM to get it done!!

Members: