AZ Barbeque.com

Feeding the Poor and Homeless

Discussion started on

BERNIETHEK

Mike, Tom (Whiskey Ranch) and myself have discussed smoking up some chicken and beans at Paz DeCristo.  They are located on Country Club and Braodway in Mesa and feed approximately 200 homeless and poor people 7 days a week.  Tom had mentioned about bringing his big rig and making a little show of it.  They get a lot of chicken and it's mostly baked so this would be a real treat.

I talked with the head guy and he said we can do a couple of things:

1.  Prepare the meal (chicken and beans) and serve the food.  To serve we would need about 20 people (not positive of that number but it would be close).  They serve about 6 PM and we would serve and help clean up.

2.  We just prepare the meal and others will serve.

He would also like to know what night we would like.  New registration to help takes place on 12 Oct.  So the sooner we decide if we want to do this or not the easier it will be for me to get what we want. 

So lets start the discussion and see how goes.
#1 - August 14, 2008, 11:40:11 am
BERNIE

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Bernie, we are in, you know that.  Let me know what dates you are looking at and we can go from there.  Make sure to check our calendar to verify we don't have anything conflicting first.

It was a great time last time and we certainly love to do events like this, so let's get it planned out.

Thanks for spearheading this Bernie..  ;)
#2 - August 14, 2008, 04:08:44 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

RodRad

Hey Bernie,

I'm in any time we can help those who are less fortunate. be glad to donate food and help with anything you need. Thanks for starting this. Count me in. Just let me know what I can do.
                                                                                                                                Rodney Rademacher

#3 - August 14, 2008, 04:29:04 pm

BERNIETHEK

We (maybe that's you Mike) can pick a date that won't conflict with other activities.  I'd like to get a date in the next couple of weeks.  Actually, if we had a couple of dates to pick from.
PLEASE, ya all, help me pick  a date.
#4 - August 18, 2008, 01:39:43 pm
BERNIE

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Bernie, what day of the week are they looking for, or will anything during the week work?

Let me know.

Thanks,..
#5 - August 18, 2008, 02:04:35 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

BERNIETHEK

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND.  MIKE, HE'S THE DIRECTOR, SAID WE SHOULD TELL HIM WHAT WE WANT TO DO AND WHEN (ANY NIGHT) AND HE WILL TRY TO ACCOMODATE US.  MEANING DO WE JUST WANT TO COOK OR COOK AND SERVE.

#6 - August 20, 2008, 02:13:51 pm
BERNIE

skou

Guys, count me in!

I work at at a discount food store just down the street from them, and when we got lots of bread, we used to give the store branded stuff to Paz.  Our old source has since opened their own "day old bread" store, so we can no longer supply them.  (We couldn't sell bread with a major chain grocery store label, but we still got it.  Yes, the store brand stuff is made by the major bakeries.)

My (well, I just work there) store sells close dated stuff, freight damamged stuff from the restaurant suppliers, and all kinds of weird stuff.

We might want to make this a recurring event.  (Yes, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread.)

steve
#7 - September 12, 2009, 02:27:33 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Members: