AZ Barbeque.com

ASU Fires Herb Sendek

Discussion started on

Mike P in Tucson

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sun-devils-fire-coach-herb-sendek-9-seasons-173251647--ncaab.html

WTF is wrong with that new, hot shot AD?  First, he gives Herb an extension, only last September, just before the basketball season.  ASU was picked to finish 9th in the PAC-12 after losing their top 3 scorers from last year.  So, what happens?  Herb manages to get ASU to 5th place in the conference and takes the team to the NIT.  Now that bonehead AD fires him?  For what, overachieving?

#1 - March 24, 2015, 12:11:53 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

AZWildcat

Stick an ASU spork in him Mike, he's done. While getting to the second round of the NIT, I figured they actually overachieved.

Btw....I just heard that ASU has already been mathematically eliminated from next year's NCAA Tournament. Damn.... >:D
#2 - March 24, 2015, 06:38:04 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mark

There is talk about Sean Miller's brother as a candidate. No thanks. One bug-eyed beyatch is enough in this state.  >:D
#3 - March 24, 2015, 09:03:22 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mark

AZWildcat

Here is the issue. You are ASU. The facilities are bad, fundraising virtually non-existent, and you have no players. There is no history and no tradition with basketball, and it's not a priority nor will it be. You're in a state where you cannot out-recruit Arizona.You're going to get a second tier coach. You can't afford Pastner, and ASU  is step down from Memphis. You're going to get a retread coach who wants another shot or an assistant who wants his head coaching shot. Certainly not to say there are not people out there who can't build that program into something good, but it's certainly an uphill battle. It's not an attractive job and it's probably not going to pay very well compared to other large D-1 schools.
#5 - March 25, 2015, 08:54:51 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mark

Just the response I expected. :D First of all, ASU is the biggest university in America.  >:D We can afford anyone. ;D There are some people here with very deep pockets who bought out Sendek's contract and are leaning on our new, very powerful AD to pull out all stops and do what it takes to make ASU a premier program, much like what is happening with football. That includes building a new arena from the ground up. USA Place, home to USA Basketball, is planned for the heart of Tempe. That would be a good start to lure visiting impressionable ballers to become Sun Devils. Time will tell. Looking forward to see what happens. It is pretty sad that the Devils' biggest accomplishment this year was costing UA their #1 seed. But we'll take our joy any way we can get it! ;)
#6 - March 25, 2015, 10:09:14 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AZWildcat

I have to admit, that was pretty funny. All the stops? Please, have you been in your arena lately? It needs updating, and I'm being kind.. I noticed how you claim to be the biggest University, but you never claimed to be the best. Reminds me of Walmart. As for the football program, yeah nice job in that unknown bowl. If I remember you really handed it to some Ivy League school. I really do think it could be a great program, nobody there just seems to know how to hire. If they cough up big money, then it might actually happen. ...but $$ talks....bs walks.
#7 - March 25, 2015, 04:09:50 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

AZWildcat

Per ESPN, Capel has been offered the job. If you can land him, that's a home run. He's a re-tread, however I think he's the best possible option. That job comes with a tremendous amount of challenges, but the upside is huge. The program is a dumpster fire, patience will be a must. No matter who the coach is.
#8 - March 25, 2015, 04:39:18 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Mark

Good to hear. I have no opinion about any of the candidates, but they need someone who can recruit and show some passion. I admit that Sendek was borderline comatose, especially in comparison to the energy of Miller. Unlike the number of players on a football team, a handful of the right b-ball recruits can go a long way to getting a program heading in the right direction. They say that this coming year's freshmen from around the state are especially good. Interesting to see where they land. Its nice if they stay in-state, but it won't be at ASU until we get the coaching situation settled. The arena is another issue. Sun Devil Stadium is being completely renovated for football. Nice if they do the same for basketball.
#9 - March 25, 2015, 05:22:35 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AZWildcat

Here is a dark horse pick for the job. Jack Murphy out of Northern Arizona University. Great recruiter, coaching ties to both Arizona and Memphis, and contacts in the pros having worked for the Denver Nuggets. He has turned around a complete disaster in Flagstaff. This kid can flat out coach and recruit. I don't think he's big time enough, but maybe he will get a look at by ASU.
#10 - March 26, 2015, 06:28:38 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

David Martin

ASU may be the largest college in AZ but they also are top 5 for partying and number 1 for STD's in the nation. Didn't see them on any top 50 lists for academics. Lmao
#11 - March 26, 2015, 07:13:40 pm
David "chef" Martin
Stumps gravity feed (real soon)
Charbroil smoker

Mark

Mebbe the math in too tough for a Wildcat to fathom, but being the biggest school in America, not just Arizona, also means we most likely likely have the most left-handers, skate boarders and big-boobed blondes, too.  ??? And while you are LYAO, ponder this:

The Wall Street Journal ranked ASU as #1 in AZ and #5 in the nation for producing the best-qualified graduates.
ASU is #3 in the nation for Fulbright Scholars.
U.S. News & World Report ranks ASU as the #2 most innovative school in the country and one of the best graduate schools in the U.S.
The Economist chose The W. P. Carey School of Business as one of best full-time MBA programs in the world.
U.S. News & World Report ranked ASU's Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law ranks #26 nationwide among public and private law schools, 16 spots head of UA.

UA on the other hand leads in tall freshmen who go to school for one year. (And let's not forget those hot dogs with mayonnaise on them.) :-[ >:D
#12 - March 27, 2015, 08:18:47 am
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:24:16 am by Mark »
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AZWildcat

US News and World Report (considered to be the standard of Univ rankings) lists UA as 121 overall and ASU 129 overall. Neither exactly impressive, but enough said. You can keep your mini stats and sub par athletic program, the rest doesn't matter.
#13 - March 27, 2015, 11:50:23 am
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:53:51 am by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

AZWildcat

Steve Lavin got canned today by St. Johns. I can see him in Tempe. Big success at UCLA and a west coast guy. ASU would do well to afford him.
#14 - March 27, 2015, 07:47:47 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Mark

Interesting. He was one of the guys mentioned in the paper. Funny thing is that John Gambodoro- one of the best known sportstalk guys on Phoenix radio is a big St. John's fan and he doesn't like him for some reason. Dan Bickley- the top sports columnist in town wrote a big article on how Josh Pastner is the right man for the job. Interestingly, several candidates have UA ties: Archie Miller- Sean's bro, Joe Pasternack, and Pastner. Another is that Lord Voldemort-looking coach from Xavier. It would actually make a fun in-state story to have the Miller Bros. coaching against each other.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaab/asu/2015/03/27/source-steve-lavin-has-strong-interest-in-asu-job/70556760/?hootPostID=55c0e571dcec99e07d5cca68b4ecf403
#15 - March 27, 2015, 08:28:56 pm
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:41:10 pm by Mark »
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: