AZ Barbeque.com

2007 ASU Parking

Discussion started on

climbon69

After almost getting arrested at the UCLA game, I made some friends with some of the good folks in the ASU Parking Dept.  They are trying to take the parking lots back from the Athletic Dept. who has some sort of sweetheart deal with the parking contractor.

Anyway, the Parking Dept would like to hear from folks who like to tailgate.  The director is a fifteen year veteran from the Chicago
Bears organization and knows a little bit about parking and tailgaiting.  She wants to get tailgating revved up at ASU.  So, look up the parking dept on the ASU website and drop them an email. 

Tell them that opening the parking lot 2 hours before game time is like not opening it at all.  And, let them know that most of the responsible tailgaters in Lot 4 clean up after themselves and leave the lot better than before.

The University of Michigan (all right - no maize and blue jokes) lets season pass holders park FRIDAY and stay until Sunday noon.  Now, that's a tailgate!!

One last thing - if you have an RV make sure you get an RV Parking Pass.  It's the same price as the regular pass, but it's a DIFFERENT COLOR!!  And, the UofA dropout who runs lot 4 isn't color blind - he's just stupid.
#1 - February 05, 2007, 05:32:59 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey, PLEASE post that e-mail address if you get it.  I've got some serious concerns about the parking at the ASU Games.  That rule last year was ridiculous.  It was never like that before.  Even the year before, we were out there at 3 am for the 1 pm USC game.

Especially with 8 home games this year and the big USC one on Thanksgiving day.  I fully plan on getting out there by about 8 or 9 am for that one.

Purchasing season tickets is certainly going to depend upon this tailgating rule.  IT HAS TO CHANGE!!!

BTW, we all tailgate in Lot #4 in the RV Section.  Can we get an RV Pass if we don't bring an RV to each game?  Will they still let us in with our truck and grill with an RV pass?  Just curious.

Thanks for the post.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?
#2 - February 05, 2007, 05:37:45 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

VisionQuest220

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?
Considering that the events in question are ASU football games, I would consider the tailgate to be of more importance than the actual events.
#3 - February 05, 2007, 06:16:06 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

climbon69

Here's all the info I have.  The Parking Dept. was supposed to have a "meeting" with the Athletic Dept. sometime before Christmas and make their move to take over the parking for the football season.  Don't know if they pulled it off, but the folks in the Parking Dept. know the contractor who did the parking last year and I think they have some pull with him. 

The head of ASU Parking is Sam Wheeler at 480-727-0894.  Sam is twenty something year veteran from NAU and he's about as nice as they come.  He'll quickly pass you on to his able assistant, Theresa Fletcher at 480-200-2181.  I think that's a cell phone for those Saturday mornings when the moron at Lot 4 won't open it up.

The real jewel in this group is Cheryl Lohman at 480-965-6858.  Cheryl is from Chicago and knows how to run a parking lot!!  She's called me back several times and is anxious to get the tailgating up and running.

The Dept. email is parksvcs@asu.edu.  If you're real good at navigating ASU's incredibly complex website, you'll probably find the emails for the folks mentioned above.

There is also a 24/7 dispatch office and this is a good number to keep with your season tickets:  480-965-0641.

As for getting a PINK parking pass, all you have to do is ask for it.  Should be good for the RV side of Lot 4.  Of course, that's saying they will still let RV's in.  After the near riot at the UCLA game . . . .  I don't know.

Back to the U of Michigan:  They have a deal with a local high school who charges $50 per RV ($70 if you stay overnight).  And, you have to have a season pass because they fill the high school's parking lots full by Friday before game day. 
#4 - February 05, 2007, 06:58:39 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thanks again for the info, I will certainly be contacting them soon.

I had to miss the UCLA game, please fill me in on what happened...  Was it due to them not opening up the gate until 2 hours prior??
#5 - February 05, 2007, 07:39:35 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

climbon69

Parking Lot#4 was open and occuppied when we arrived about 2 1/2 hours before kick-off.  We were meeting the folks who always park next to us and had a joint tailgate planned.

As usual, we were already geared up for some sort of harrassment at the parking lot before we even got there.  When I presented my pass, the guy who took it immediately turned around and called his boss.  His boss, stuck his face in my window and snarled at me, "this is a green pass - you gotta have a pink pass for an RV".  It was at this point that my wife says I acted "inappropriately".  Ok, I became a raving you-know-what.  I'd used the same pass for my RV for two years and after all the c__p we'd put up with all season, this was too much.

After exchanging several pleasantries with the nice parking lot supervisor, I told him to "call the cops", slammed my window shut and proceeded to shut my RV down in his driveway.  This stand-off went on for about fifteen minutes and then he brought his puny tow truck over and threatened to tow my 40' diesel pusher with a half-ton pickup.  When I quit laughing, I told him I'd move my RV - I'd move it right into the parking lot that I had a valid pass for.

I started up and started moving towards our usual spot in Lot 4.  The parking lot supervisor who was now walking around stiff legged and getting ready to turn his leg up on my tire, told his employees to turn me around and get me "out of his parking lot".
Instead of turning around, I drove through their waving arms and into the back of Lot 4.

The super then had his tow truck race over to our RV and back up to it.  I started laughing at the tow truck driver as he tried to get his lifting rig under the heavy end of my pusher and he had a hard time keeping a straight face.  The parking lot super then strutted around with a radio in one ear and his cell phone in the other as he announced that he was having me arrested for "being an a - h-".  The folks already in the parking lot, crowded around and started giving the super a hard time, which just made him wild-eyed.

Finally, the campus cops showed up and after ten minutes of talking to everybody, they told the parking lot guy to go back to work and leave the paying customers alone.  That's when I found out that a RV pass is PINK.  A car pass for lot #4 is GREEN.  They both cost $40.  So, we went through an hour of hassle because we didn't have a PINK pass.

While all this was going on, my son tried to get into the lot and they refused to let him park when he asked what was going on and they told him, "oh, that guys' being an a-h-"  My son said, "that's my Dad."  That's when they refused to let him park.

Our friends who park next to us were also refused admission for almost a half-hour when they asked what was going on and they told the parking lot bozos that they were with us.  They had RVs stacked up all over the place and they harrassed every RV the rest of the night.  They even had folks move who were already parked.  I was obvious it was the last game of the year and they were going to make us all pay for refusing to follow their stupid parking rules.

The next Monday, I got hooked up with Sam Wheeler and he got me in touch with his folks.  I got an apology from the Parking folks, but not from the Athletic Dept.  My wife says the 2007 season needs to go off without any incidents or it's our last year.  We talked to a number of folks that night and about half of them said, "they'd had enough".

It's kind of sad - we bought the RV to tailgate at ASU games.  We thought it was going to be a blast - instead it's been a nightmare.  Just because the Athletic Dept. turns the parking over to a contractor.  It's got to get better.
#6 - February 06, 2007, 07:22:02 am

ddog27

I never understood the 3 hour rule. What problems does it cause if people come early and tailgate? I think they would have lots of fans come early and tailgate. Plus that would be that much less traffic trying to get to the game. I am going to send them a email.  
#7 - February 06, 2007, 07:25:05 am
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

BBQCZAR

Boy ,that stinks,I guess ASU athletic dept is out to ruin it for the tailgaters ! I don't understand that kind of crap that schools or even the pros do,just makes fans want to go away !What are the rules for tailgating at the Cardinals games in Glendale,or is there tailgating at all ?
#8 - February 06, 2007, 10:07:28 am
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Members: